Camtasia Relay, Version History
Current Version: 4.3.1
August 2013: V4.3.1 Maintenance Release
- Added ability to remove presentations from presentation history lists
- New EduVision Plug-In: Added ability to publish to EduVision
- Kaltura Plug-In: Added ability to select player
- New system panel information including summary of processing presentations, number of invalid publishing destinations, and number of unique client machines that have connected to the server
- The workflow for allowing presenters to provide their own publishing account information has been simplified
- Relay Recorders: simplified profile selection for presenters associated with only one profile
- Added ability to hide feedback link in emails to Presenters
Fixes and Updates
- Frame rate of source content will now be maintained in the output
- Fixed caption coloring
- SmartPlayer optimizations and fixes
- Improved speech-to-text model
We have changed the file naming of output files to shorten the overall length.
- The new names follow this pattern: <title>_-_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_<encoding id>.html
- Example: Profile_Test_by_Camtasia_Relay_-_20130611_104804_7.html
In order to help you prepare for the future, we wanted to share our plan to change our system requirements in future versions of Relay. The following changes should be expected in future releases:
Dropping support for all 32-bit server operating systems including:
- Windows Server 2003 (all editions)
- Windows Server 2008
- NOTE: We will continue to support Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit) and Windows Server 2012 (64 bit)
- Dropping support for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (all editions)
- Dropping support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 7
- Dropping support for Microsoft Office 2003 PowerPoint Plug-in
- Elimination of Info Gathering Tool – to be replaced with in product information and graphs
NOTE: At this time we are not considering changing the requirements for the Windows or Mac recorders
- An encoding usage graph that shows the server encoding capacity and usage percentages for a particular date or date range. This will allow a system administrator the ability to easily see peak use times and to see if there are times when presentations are queued up for encoding.
- A graph showing the average size of a recording by file type. This will show a system administrator their actual data which can be used to plan for storage needs.
- A graph showing the average encoding time for a particular profile and by a simple click of the mouse each encoding type within that profile.
- Added the ability to search for presentations on the Presentation History page by date range.
- Added the ability to search for presentations on the Job Status page and the Presentation List page.
- Added usage information for individual users including client machines used, presenter accounts and total presentations.
Fixes and Updates
- Corrected an error that caused a failed publish to YouTube when the title was too long.
- Fixed an issue with publishing to Kaltura where mobile formats were not published in their mobile playback formats.
- Updated the Smart Player output to properly scale a video when the video is larger than the browser window.
- Modified the file system output authentication test so that errors wouldn’t occur if variables were used.
- Publishing to an FTP site resulted in an incorrect link to the published video.
- Certain WebDAV publishing destinations resulted in unsuccessful publishing of presentations.
- The FTP URL scheme was not selectable when Drupal was installed.
- Resubmitting a Flash presentation which had previously failed continually failed.
- Forward slash characters were not supported in FTP append paths.
- If the audio input is lost during a presentation Camtasia Relay will provide the presenter with a notification and potential solutions.
- Snagit videos are now able to be sent to the Relay server for encoding and publishing directly from Snagit on both the PC and Mac. This requires a new Snagit Output, Snagit 11 and Relay 4.0.2.
- The TechSmith Smart Player is now available in Camtasia Relay. It will play on any device that supports h.264 MP4 videos including current web browsers, iPhone, iPad, Windows Phones and most Android devices.
- Camtasia Relay has added new variables for iTunesU.
- The RTMP, RTSP and MMS protocols are now supported in the FTP and File System destinations.
- The Copy Profile process has been improved and simplified.
- Fixed an issue where speech to text transcription fails if no audio is detected.
- Improved the messaging when issues arise during activation.
- The Windows recorder is updated to support Windows 8.
- The Camtasia Relay server was updated to accommodate the Mac OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion, recorder.
- Fixed a bug where the Camtasia Relay server could send high numbers of repetitive emails.
- The Camtasia Mac recorder was updated to install and work with Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
- Fixed an issue that caused the server upgrade to 4.1.0 to fail if Camtasia Relay was installed in a directory other than the default directory.
- Camtasia Relay now supports Microsoft SQL Server 2012 as a database option.
- The Camtasia Relay Mac recorder will capture system audio as well as microphone inputs during a recording. This allows you to easily record the audio from other videos that you may use during your presentation, such as a YouTube video.
- Feedback option added to notification e-mail. If a presenter would like to provide direct feedback to TechSmith there is now a link to TechSmith’s Get Satisfaction system where you can share any feedback or suggestions to TechSmith.
- TechSmith Fuse update to offer a much better experience using Fuse with an iPad
- TechSmith now offers the option of an annual service for the use of Camtasia Relay on a TechSmith server.
- Support the ability use camrec outputs within Camtasia Studio 8 using the TSC2 codec.
- The Camtasia Relay recorder will capture system audio on a PC, as well as microphone inputs during a recording. This allows you to easily record the audio from other videos that you may use during your presentation, such as a YouTube video.
- New version notifications. If a new version of the recorder is available, there will be a subtle notification that a newer version is available which the user can use to update or ignore.
- Critical fix for a potential server crash introduced in 4.0.2
- Direct link to download Android version of TechSmith Fuse from Relay website download page
- Replaced MP3 Radio and MP3 Phone with a single higher quality MP3 encoding type
- Added ID3 tags to MP4 encoding - includes setting items like Name, Artist, Year, Grouping and Genre
- Fix for Camtasia for Mac Recording encoding type that resulted in cmproj files being larger than they should (this was introduced in version 4.0.1)
- Mac recorder has changes that will allow it to be able to check for upgrades in future releases. The server changes to control those updates and the PC recorder updates will come in a future release.
- System updates to accommodate a future release of TechSmith Fuse for Camtasia Relay for the Android phone
- Publishing notification for Moodle 2.x
- Webcam picture-in-picture has been added to WMV, MP4, iPad and iPod encoding formats
- Corrected an issue with installing the PowerPoint add-in for Camtasia Relay
- Addressed issues associated with removing an audio device with the recorder open
- Addressed issues associated with adding a webcam while on the Select a Camera preview showing
- Dropped support for OS X 10.5 for the Camtasia Relay Recorder
- When recording a webcam and using the .camrec output, the .camrec now includes two video streams, one for the display and one for a webcam
- Direct publishing output to Amazon S3
- YouTube output now includes webcam picture in picture option
- YouTube output now includes closed caption option
- Ability to produce an original size MP4 recording
- Corrected an issue with the use of semi-colon (;) in the presentation title causing a broken URL
- Corrected an issue that changed the webcam aspect ratio on long recordings
- When recording a PowerPoint, the PowerPoint presentation title will auto populate the recording title, this can be overwritten if desired
- Ability to record webcam video as part of your Flash and Silverlight presentations
- Webcam is embedded as a picture in picture in the final recording
- Webcam can also be recorded with the portable recorder
- Direct publishing to YouTube from Camtasia Relay
- Caption editor role added to Camtasia Relay server
- A user can be setup to be a dedicated caption editor able to update any presentation needing to be captioned on the server
- Server will recognize when a new version is available and notify the system administrator
- Direct link to download TechSmith Fuse from Relay website download page
- Webcam recording option
- Refined user interface
- Support for Microsoft Office 2010 on the PC
- Support for Microsoft Office 2011 on the Mac
July 2011: V3.1.0 Minor Release
- Added support for TechSmith Fuse, an iOS recording client. It is available in the iOS App Store.
- The YouTube encoding now outputs to the original recording size (was 640x480).
- Updated the Drupal plugin to work with Drupal version 7.
- Updated to allow Drupal tagging.
- Fixed the following issues:
- Fixed an issue where presentations coming from Camtasia for Mac weren’t displaying captions for captioned presentations when published to Screencast.com.
- Fixed an issue where Camtasia for Mac project file (CMPROJ) encodings failed when there are Unicode characters in the presentation title.
- Fixed an issue where Camtasia for Mac project file (CMPROJ) encodings failed after being interrupted.
- Anonymous usage data and hardware information are now automatically sent to TechSmith. (This can be disabled on the website under System Options. Data is not sent if the server is behind a firewall.)
- Fixed the following issues:
- Fixed a scripting error on the file system Publish Destinations Setup page.
- Fixed an issue where a profile could be deleted when a presentation is in process.
- Improved recording performance on both Mac and PC recorders.
- Increased frame rate of recordings from 10 to 15 frames per second.
- Smaller file size for source recordings, especially when full motion video is recorded.
- The Mac recorder now supports OS 10.7 (Lion).
- Updated PC client installer.
- Fixed the following issues:
- Fixed an issue where audio became unsynced when the CPU peaked.
- Fixed an issue where changing Mac OS X Spaces during a recording caused a white bar to be recorded.
- Fixed an issue where the Mac OS X Dock was recorded during a slideshow.
- Fixed an issue where test recordings cleared out presentation metadata (profile, title, and description).
- Flash and Silverlight media formats now support captioning
- Added support for Apple iPad
- Captions now used for search data
- CamProj file can now be created for Camtasia for Mac to edit Relay recordings
- Caption files from Camtasia Studio now can be used for Camtasia Relay outputs that support captioning
- Caption files from Camtasia for Mac now can be used for Camtasia Relay outputs that support captioning
- XML file for outputs with captions now supports standard format
- Information Gathering Tool now installed to Utilities folder
- Now shipping with Microsoft SQL Express 2008
- Updated output formats to keep audio sampling the same as input recording
- Added interface to correct transcriptions before publishing
- Corrected captions now used to increase future speech-to-text accuracy
- Dashboard landing page added for presenters
- Added automatic volume control on recorders
- Updated to latest version of TSC Rec for Windows Recorder
- Updated recording sub-system to better handle all in one audio devices
- Slide notes now captured for increased speech-to-text accuracy
- Camtasia for Mac can now be used as part of the Camtasia Relay workflow
Camtasia Studio Workflow
- Updated camrec format to support captions created using Camtasia Relay automated transcription
- Camtasia Relay metadata is now returned to Camtasia Relay after editing in Camtasia Studio
Camtasia for Mac Workflow
- Added output format for Camtasia for Mac usage
- Camtasia for Mac can now output files to Camtasia Relay for encoding and publishing
- Camtasia for Mac can now select from Camtasia Relay profiles
- Camtasia for Mac can read in automated transcription from Camtasia Relay
- Now supporting Microsoft Silverlight output
- Added support for Windows 2008 R2
- Added support for Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- Support for searching on slide and audio content in Silverlight and Flash outputs
- Speech to text for full audio search
- Silverlight and Flash outputs now have Thumbnails on the Table of Contents and with search results to allow users to find content visually
- Search data included in XML file
- Updated SSL handling for clients to improve security
- Update to web interface to improve usability
- New Dashboard webpage informs users to the status of the Relay system
- Support for Moodle LMS for notification
- Improved profile creation process
- Added variables for profiles and notification
- Improved customizable notifications
- Support for multiple LMS servers and customizable messages
- Notification now with optional roll up message displaying all outputs in single notification
- Improved LDAP integration for better performance
- Updated display selection
- New audio device selection
- Capture slide content for use with search
- Removed support for underperforming audio devices
- Updated persistent recorder interface for usability
- Added support for WebDAV publishing
- Updated Real Media encoding
- Added support for Microsoft Windows 2008 64-bit servers
- Optimized MP4 file output format for smaller file sizes
- Improved file publishing to remove spaces and commas from file names
- Improved LDAP support for OpenLDAP
- Improved publishing URL entry to allow for manual input of URL
- Failed publishing jobs due to not being able to reach the media server will now automatically retry
- Fixed an issue where some recordings would not be able to upload to the server
- Added support for Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- Added support for Microsoft Windows 7
- Modified Windows PowerPoint Plug-in to not pause at end of presentation
- Fixed an issue where some audio drivers would cause an error on startup
- Added Real Media support
- Output media files now keep aspect ratio of original recording without black bars
- Added support for multiple Camtasia Relay servers
- Added support to use external database server
- Improved web site performance
- Improved management of user accounts
- Automatically add user accounts on successful LDAP login
- Ability to copy a profile
- Automatically add profiles to new user accounts
- Option to require minimum password complexity
- Option for account lockout based on failed logins
- Option for self password reset
- New Portable Recorder
- Added ability for installed recorder client to upload stored presentations
- Added thumbnails to help identify recordings stored on external media devices
- Ability for presenters to save username and password
- Plug-in for Windows PowerPoint to prompt to start recording
- Moved settings to toolbar to increase visibility for users
- Added ability for presenters to trim beginning and end of their recording
- Improved LDAP implementation for more flexibility
- Added in support to modify how SSL certificates are trusted
- Fix for support of international time & date formats
- New recorder interface
- Automated distribution of files
- Added time saving profiles for automated publishing and encoding
- Automated distribution of recorded presentations
- LDAP setup using existing usernames and passwords for users
- Set up for integration with existing environments
- Client recoding application runs on local machine
- Capture high quality for animation and lower quality for static slides
- Supports multiple file format outputs
- Notification emails are sent for both success and failures to keep system functioning properly
- Automated announcements in Blackboard LMS
- Recorder for both Windows and Mac
- Recordings can be converted to MP3 format for audio only output
- Includes CamRec output for export to Camtasia Studio