Snagit for Windows, Version History
Current Version: 11.4.2
To check for an update, open Snagit and click Help > Check for Upgrade
11 March 2014: Snagit v11.4.2 Maintenance Release
- Additional fixes for scrolling capture in Google Chrome
- Major performance improvement when uploading to Screencast.com
- Fixed crash when ‘how to’ animation is displayed during first capture
- Closing “Print Preview” caused Snagit to crash
12 February 2014: Snagit v11.4.1 Maintenance Release
We squashed all of the following bugs:
- Scrolling capture support for Google Chrome version 32
- Added Close and Delete buttons back to Command list for use in Quick Access Toolbar
- Installer error fixed where Snagit is still running during install/uninstall
- Screen capture on system with monitors having different screen resolutions
- Fixed region capture is working again
- Ability to capture secondary monitor when using Surface or other DVI adaptors
- Snagit Help not showing for Tray and Editor references
- Added Close, Delete, Keywords, Flags to “Popular Commands” for use in Quick Access Toolbar
- Fixed crash on first capture due to help window displaying
14 January 2014: Snagit v11.4 Minor Release
- Improved startup performance to make Snagit launch faster
- Added new Step Tool which allows you to quickly and intuitively document a series of steps in a process
- Added new Blur Tool which takes our current capability of maintaining privacy in your captures and allows you to do so in the same way you add other annotations.
- Provided “Smooth” and “Pixelate” styles
- Blur objects now cover vector objects as well as your canvas
- Combined the Callout and Text tool to simplify adding text-related annotations to your capture
- Created a new conditional tab for Callout and Text objects to allow much easier font customization
- Updated default tool gallery styles to be more consistent and to make your content more modern and appealing with minimal customization
- Simplified the Snagit Editor tabbed interface to have Tools, Image, Share and Library tabs
- Introduced a “Library” tab in the Snagit Editor to allow for quick and easy access to your capture history
- Consolidated a number library-related capabilities to make organization and searching much easier
- Reducing the number of ways to access the Library to reduce confusion
- Made it easier to choose your desired folder when sharing to Google Drive
- Replaced the default old, large PNG stamps with new, vector PDF stamps which can be re-sized without loss of quality
- Reduced the number of steps to connect TechSmith Fuse to Snagit
- Fixed a number of bugs which will allow TechSmith Fuse to connect with a higher success rate
- Fixed a number of bugs with the floating Mini Toolbar to make it more obvious as to when the toolbar will display
- Creating a more intuitive way to discover additional styles in your tools gallery
- Relocated View tab functionality to live closer to the zoom slider
- Reduced the number of items in the File menu to limit the clutter you see when trying to do common operations such as Save or Open
- Various bug fixes
19 November, 2013: Snagit v11.3 Minor Release
- Added sharing to Google Drive and importing from Google Drive.
- Added TechSmith Fuse integration, share to Snagit from your mobile device.
- Added ability to update Snagit automatically.
- Windows 8.1 support
- Added vector Stamps that maintain sharpness regardless of dimensions.
- Added ability to rotate stamps.
- Added text padding for Callouts.
- Added tail locking for Callouts.
- Added improvements to capture crosshairs.
- Various bug fixes.
4 June, 2013: Snagit v11.2.1 Maintenance Release
- Added the ability to disable OneClick in enterprise deployments.
- Fixed a bug that caused Snagit to revert back to a trial in certain situations.
- Fixed a crash bug caused by some accessories displaying multiple notification messages.
- Fixed a bug where non-default accessories would be uninstalled during a Snagit upgrade.
19 March, 2013: Snagit v11.2 Minor Release
- Redesigned OneClick.
- Redesigned the Snagit Message Center.
- Added support for two-factor authentication in the YouTube output.
- Added additional Japanese file name components for automatic file naming.
- Re-added support for resizing multiple images through batch conversion.
- Improved the performance of scrolling captures in Microsoft Outlook emails.
- Fixed a bug where Snagit Editor would crash after uploading a video to YouTube.
- Fixed a bug where Snagit could not back up and restore a library larger than 4 GB.
- Fixed a crash bug caused by grouping and ungrouping several vector objects on the canvas.
09 October, 2012: Snagit v11.1 Minor Release
- Added system audio recording on Windows 7 and Windows 8 only.
- Added Video COM support.
- Updated the look of Snagit Editor's toolbars and added a File tab.
- Resolved the DLL Preloading Vulnerability due to Snagit loading libraries with elevated privileges.
- Fixed a scrolling bug in Firefox that results in a corrupt image if Firefox's zoom setting is set to anything but 100%.
- Fixed a bug where Snagit failed to capture a web page's URL in Chrome.
- Fixed a video recording bug that resulted in green ghosting when attempting to record the taskbar.
- Fixed a bug where Snagit activated a webcam on start up.
- Fixed a bug where the second arrow added to a line does not match the first arrow.
29 May, 2012: Snagit v11.0.1 Maintenance Release
- Fixed scrolling capture issues in Firefox and Chrome.
- Fixed a crash bug when Snagit launches on Windows 7N.
- Fixed a crash bug during video recording with hardware acceleration turned on.
- Fixed a bug where video playback would not work on Windows XP and Windows Vista if Camtasia Studio was first installed.
- Fixed a bug where some audio setups would cause a video recording to stop after a few seconds.
- Fixed a bug where starting a video capture over multiple monitors would turn Aero theme off.
- Fixed resizing and renaming bugs with Convert Images.
- Fixed a bug where Snagit's Ctrl+Shift+R (repeat last capture) hotkey would override the same hotkey in MS Outlook.
28 February, 2012: Snagit v11.0.0 Major Release
- Completely overhauled video capture to create real-time encoded MP4 videos.
- Added video outputs: Screencast.com, Camtasia Studio, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, FTP.
- Added new image outputs: Evernote, Facebook, Twitter.
- Added spell checking to callouts and text capture.
- Added scrolling capture support for Google Chrome.
- Added more increments to the zoom slider in editor.
- Added support for working in natural units (inches and centimeters) for image sizing.
- Added options to turn off automatically saving captures or videos.
- Added improved options in Windows 7 jump lists.
- Added over 15 new default stamps and more free stamp downloads.
- Updated the default arrows, shapes and lines with a common color palette.
- Centered the Snagit canvas for easier editing and annotating.
- Added Snagit Editor option: New from Clipboard.
- Added new Time Saving profiles.
- Added additional free profiles to Techsmith.com you can download.
- Improved Snagit's performance, particularly for images with transparency.
- Removed support for several outdated file formats including .msp, .cal, .pcx, .raw, etc.
- Removed the ability to capture full screen DOS windows and icons from .exe and .dll files.
- Removed the "Create Web Page" feature.
- Removed the Web Capture mode.
- Removed the DirectX capture input. You can still capture most DirectX applications with the All-in-One Capture.
- Removed shape capture options including triangle, rounded rectangle, ellipse, and polygon. You can still select those shapes in Editor.
- Restricted the use of GIF and 256-color image files to only during opening and saving.
- Fixed several problems where security software interfered with Snagit's installation and functionality.
- Fixed a bug where upgrading to a new version of Snagit required restarting Internet Explorer.
- Fixed a bug where moving saved .snag files to new directories caused the files to become corrupted.
- Fixed a crash bug that would occur when using the perspective/shear effect.
17 January, 2012: Snagit v10.0.2
- Fixed a bug where Snagit crashes when installing the default accessories on Windows 7.
- Fixed a problem with image scrolling in Firefox when the image is zoomed.
- Fixed a Snagit printer bug that only printed blank pages.
- Fixed a bug with custom drop shadows on text in Editor.
- Fixed a COM API bug that did not expose autoscroll direction controls in the new All-in-One capture.
- Updated the Screencast.com output, which contains several bug fixes.
11 May, 2010: Snagit v10.0.0 Major Release
- Added All-in-One capture.
- Improved scrolling capture.
- Improved text capture.
- Improved region capture and region autoscroll capture.
- Added transparency to Editor.
- Added ability to capture transparency.
- Added ability to change Snagit's color theme.
- Added a Page Curl effect.
- Enhanced the Cutout tool.
- Improved Snagit's performance.
- Added a Getting Started .snag file to Editor.
- Fixed a bug capturing Japanese text in text capture mode.
- Fixed a problem with the magnifier window continuing to display during a region capture.
- Fixed a memory leak caused by a timer-activated text capture.
- Added support for Windows 7.
- Added a preview window to the Save as dialog box.
- Added default install of Screencast.com output with thumbnail and URL option.
- Added the ability to rotate text boxes.
- Restored custom trim.
- Added deleted images now go to Recycle Bin.
- Added 1GB video capture warning.
27 October, 2009: Snagit v9.1.3
- Fixed an issue where Snagit was preventing Windows 7 from shutting down.
- Fixed a bug where Snagit Editor was running very slowly when navigating in the Search Pane to a folder with a .zip file.
- Fixed a bug where Snagit would hang when using the magnifier on Vista with Aero theme.
- Fixed a bug where high DPI settings on Vista caused Snagit Editor to display distorted images.
- Improved Snagit's performance by caching thumbnails in the tray rather than redrawing them.
21 April, 2009: Snagit v9.1.2
- Fixed a crash bug when printing or saving to the PDF format.
- Fixed a bug where the IE add-in was not working properly in Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista.
29 January, 2009: Snagit v9.1.1
- Fixed a crash bug in OneClick when shutting down on Windows Vista.
- Fixed an active window foregrounding bug when capturing.
- Fixed a bug where the custom stamp directory was not being set properly.
- Fixed a bug with creating two sets of stamps when upgrading Snagit to version 9.1.
9 December, 2008: Snagit v9.1.0
- Added Live Preview to the editor.
- Added mini toolbars to the editor.
- Replaced the text tool's and callout tool's text editing dialog with in-place editing.
- Added the ability to backup and restore automatically saved captures and their associated metadata.
- Enhanced the stamp tool's organization.
- Added TUDI (TechSmith User Design Initiative) functionality.
- Changed Snagit's branding.
- Earned Microsoft Vista Logo certification.
- Fixed a crash bug with Text capture on Windows 2000.
- Fixed a bug with autoscroll capture in Word 2007 and Adobe Reader 8.
- Fixed a bug where the Scanners & Cameras feature was not working on Windows Vista x64.
- Fixed a bug where DirectX capture was broken on Windows Vista x64.
30 September, 2008: Snagit v9.0.2
- Fixed a bug where users could not paste an image into some applications after clicking Copy All in Snagit.
9 September, 2008: Snagit v9.0.1
- Fixed a bug where Snagit could not save to the PSD format.
- Fixed a bug where user-created quick styles were not saved.
- Fixed a bug with the COM server failing on every second capture.
- Fixed a bug with the Word add-in not properly scaling large captures.
- Fixed several crash bugs from Windows Error Reporting.
10 June, 2008: Snagit v9.0
- Added multiple image editing capability.
- Added autosaving of captures.
- Added persistent undo for captures.
- Added automatic metadata capture which includes capturing date and time, application, and website, if appropriate.
- Added custom metadata tagging with custom keywords and several preset flags.
- Added searching functionality.
- Modified Snagit's editor to support Microsoft's new Fluent UI.
- Upgraded Snagit's image processing capability.
- Updated Snagit's theme to black.
- Updated Snagit's help documentation and added more tips within the product to provide better contextual help.
- Fixed many issues with text capture.
- Fixed several memory leaks.
- Fixed a crash bug with multipage PDFs and TIFFs.
- Removed Instant Messenger Output.
- Removed the Catalog Browser.
- Removed the Classic View.
7 May, 2007: Snagit v8.2.3
- Updated Snagit to run C# accessories.
1 March, 2007: Snagit v8.2.2
- Updated the French version of Snagit 8.2.0.
- Fixed the bug where Snagit removes ole32.dll registry keys.
- Fixed the problem of pasting into Snagit Editor from the Snagit Preview Window.
6 February, 2007: Snagit v8.2.1
- Updated the German version of Snagit 8.2.0.
- Fixed problem with text being cut off in callouts.
- Fixed problem where Flash/SWF output doesn't display hotspots properly.
- Fixed bug where the Accessories don't work when UAC is turned off on Vista.
- Fixed a conflict with Logitech mouse software.
- Fixed the problem of skewing an image when copying an image from MS Word and pasting it into Snagit.
- Fixed the bug that prevented the Preview Window from maximizing properly.
6 December, 2006: Snagit v8.2.0
- Added support for Windows Vista.
- Added MS Office outputs for MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Added support for adding, managing, and removing new Snagit accessories (outputs, inputs, filters, etc.)
- Added callout styles: plain, shaded, and glassy.
- Enhanced the print setup dialog and print preview.
- Enhanced printing quality and ease-of-use to approximately print images as they appear on the screen.
- Fixed the issue where Snagit appears to stop responding during object capture with PowerPoint.
- Fixed a problem with installing and using the Snagit Printer on a Terminal Server Environment.
- Fixed a crash bug when saving multiple images to a PDF.
- Fixed the issue where vector objects were not moving when using the Join command.
- Dropped support for Windows 98 and Me.
11 July, 2006: Snagit v8.1.0
- Added support for Windows XP Professional x64.
- Added the ability to insert Flash content into MS PowerPoint and MS Word.
- Added access to profiles through the system tray icon.
- Updated the PowerPoint add-in with a new Flash button for inserting Flash into PowerPoint.
- Updated the COM server with all of Snagit's latest features.
- Changed the callout tool to create vector objects.
- Changed the selection tool to allow filters and effects to be applied to multiple selections of an image.
- Fixed problem that OpenType fonts weren't available for the text tool.
- Fixed bug where the system tray balloon tip was displaying in the wrong location.
- Fixed Snagit's slow startup problem.
- Dropped support for Windows NT 4.
6 June, 2006: Snagit v8.0.2
- Updated French, German, Japanese and Korean versions for Snagit 8.0.
- Fixed the "Unable to capture input" issue.
29 March, 2006: Snagit v8.0.1
- Fixed crash bug associated with Snagit's Classic View.
- Fixed crash when trying to save to PDF in Catalog Browser.
- Fixed crash bug when selecting "Edit Popup Text" button several times.
- Fixed crash bug when trying to capture the "Page Setup" dialog in Snagit Editor.
- Fixed slow startup problems.
- Fixed the "Unable to capture input" issue.
- Fixed problem with colors being ruined when saving as a GIF.
- Fixed image resolution problem when copying an image from MS Word into Snagit Editor.
26 January, 2006: Snagit v8.0
- Added vector-based editing to the Preview Window and Editor.
- Added the ability to capture links from web pages.
- Added the ability to add hotspots to images.
- Added the ability to output to PDF, SWF, and MHT formats.
- Added a callout tool - basically a stamp and text tool combined.
- Updated the Snagit main user interface.
- Removed Snagit Studio from the main download.
- Added more enterprise deployment options in the installer.
- Changed the default hotkey from CTRL-SHIFT-P to PrintScreen.
- Changed the way stamps are organized and displayed in the Preview Window and Editor.
- Changed Snagit to minimize to the system tray rather than the task bar.
- Fixed the foregrounding problem with the Preview Window.
- Fixed the problem where CTRL-Z would not 'undo' in the Preview Window and Editor.
- Fixed several problems where Snagit would not remember the a last-used setting, such as last directory, file type, etc.
- Fixed the problem where the Snagit printer would not work for restricted-access users.
- Fixed the problem of an autoscroll capture stopping unexpectedly without displaying an error message.
- Fixed the problem where the Snagit main UI would display after another application prints to the Snagit printer while Snagit was not running.
- Fixed the error that occurs when installing Snagit on Windows Server 2003.
26 October, 2005: Snagit v7.2.5
- Bug fixes to the Japanese version of Snagit.
30 June, 2005: Snagit v7.2.4
- Fixed the conflict with WindowBlinds from Stardock.
3 May, 2005: Snagit v7.2.3
- Changed the setup to Windows Installer.
- Fixed problem with flipping/mirroring stamps incorrectly.
- Fixed the Windows Z-Order issue.
- Fixed problem with not remembering the size or rotation angle of stamps when copying.
- Fixed problem with the IE Add-in button size.
15 March, 2005: Snagit v7.2.2
- Fixed a problem with remembering the last-used directory for saving an image. Leaving the output directory blank in the save dialog will use the last-used directory.
- Fixed the problem of losing the content from Snagit Editor when printing from Catalog Browser.
- Fixed a problem that added a thin line around an image after scaling in Preview Window.
10 January, 2005: Snagit v7.2.1
- Fixed Window Autoscroll error on certain hardware configurations.
- Fixed Window Autoscroll problem in Firefox and Microsoft Word where scrolling would start at the current cursor location rather than the top of the page.
- Fixed the Evaluation Message Center window so that it will now only appear with the Snagit UI or the Snagit Preview Window. Previously, it would appear when Snagit launched, which is a problem if Snagit starts minimized.
10 January, 2005: Snagit v7.2
- Added Task Panes in the Preview Window and Snagit Editor that present all image enhancement options in the menus.
- Added more filters for capturing images in Web capture, such as filtering based on the dimension or aspect ratio.
- Added Rich Text to the Text Tool.
- Added file association capability to Snagit.
- Added this file association support into Windows Explorer. Now, Snagit Editor and Batch Conversion can be launched from Windows Explorer.
- Added the standard close button to the Evaluation Message dialogs.
- Updated the gdiplus.dll to the latest version to avoid buffer overrun in jpeg processing.
- Enhanced web capture to allow the capture of audio, video and other types of files.
- Enhanced the Paint Tools to allow custom colors to be set for each Paint Tool.
- Changed the size of the gripper handles for the Paint Tools. They are now larger.
- Changed the printer scaling dialog.
- Changed to the Windows standard Print dialog in Snagit Editor, Preview Window, Studio, and Catalog Browser.
- Fixed a problem with Catalog Browser's Preview Window when scrolling a selected text file.
6 October, 2004: Snagit v7.1.2
- Added the standard close button to the Tip of the Day and Check for Update dialogs.
- Fixed a problem with a Full Screen DOS window minimizing when output is set to Printer.
- Fixed a problem with the FrameMaker plug-in if the plug-in is installed to the FrameMaker plug-ins directory.
- Fixed a problem with using Program output in German and Italian versions.
9 August, 2004: Snagit v7.1.1
- Added the ability to capture the contents of drop down scrolling listbox controls using Auto scroll.
- Enhanced Web capture to allow port number to be specified in the capture URL.
- Fixed the drop shadow property in Paint Tools. It now accepts negative values in the Drop Shadow Options dialog.
- Fixed a problem with inadvertently capturing the Magnifier window during an Auto scroll capture.
- Fixed a problem with automatically importing registry settings from the SNAGIT.REG file on startup.
- Fixed a problem in Snagit Studio using the Page Layout dialog.
- Fixed a problem in Snagit Studio saving an .SSD file after saving a .BMP file.
7 June, 2004: Snagit v7.1
- Added the ability to import and export capture profiles. A single profile, group of profiles or all profiles may be imported or exported.
- Added Instant Messenger output. Send captures to any contact on Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.
- Added Program output. Open captures automatically using another application (e.g. Adobe Photoshop).
- Added new automatic file naming controls to File, Catalog, External Program, Instant Messenger outputs as well as files originating from TWAIN sources.
- Added new edge effects, Saw edge, Sharktooth edge and a Beveled edge. Torn edge now has a settings for a finer edge.
- Added the ability to apply edge effects to a rectangular selected area.
- Added drag and drop functionality to the Catalog Browser, Editor and Snagit Studio.
- Added Windows Explorer cut, copy and paste to the Catalog Browser file operations.
- Added command line parameters to launch Editor and Catalog Browser directly.
- Added a feature that automatically checks for product updates.
- Added a button to clear the URL history in Web capture. Added a button to clear all history information in Snagit.
- Added an opacity property to the Highlight tool in Editor. Added Copy To and Paste From options to the Edit menu in the Preview Window and Editor.
- Added the display of the automatic filename in the status bar of the Main Snagit window and Preview window.
- Added support for .CUR files to the Stamp tool (i.e. Paint Tools).
- Added support for .CUR files to general file input/output. Enhanced auto scroll to capture more application windows.
- Added interactive canvas resizing in Snagit Studio.
- Added drag and drop file support to Snagit Studio's main view.
- Enhanced web capture robustness. More Web sites images can be automatically scanned and downloaded.
- Enhanced automatic file naming to allow configurable starting sequence number, use of system date/time, computer name, user name, or any date/time component as the filename.
- Enhanced automatic file naming to optionally overwrite files.
- Enhanced usability of the Text drawing tool dialog in Editor.
- Enhanced usability of the Shadow property dialog in Editor. The shadow settings can be changed on the fly while drawing.
- Enhanced the folder selection dialog to be sizable and allow creation of new folders.
- Enhanced the Flip and Mirror operations to work for selections.
- Enhanced the File Open and Save dialogs to use the XP style theme on Windows XP, 2000 and Me.
- Enhanced the Canvas size dialog and added image position controls in Snagit Studio.
- Enhanced the Image Open Options dialog in Snagit Studio.
- Changed the default image file type from BMP to PNG.
- Changed the memory limit for Extended window capture.
- Changed the menu name from Crop to Crop to Selection in Editor.
- Changed the behavior of the paste operation in Editor. The pasted image is now initially placed on the image.
- Changed the behavior of the Shape tool (i.e. Paint Tools). Foreground color is used when drawing with no frame.
- Changed the add-in for Microsoft Word to use a template file if necessary.
- Changed the startup behavior in Snagit Studio to open with a blank document by default.
- Fixed a problem with the Trim functionality being backwards in Editor.
- Fixed a problem capturing tooltips on multi-monitor displays.
- Fixed a problem with the Program Options tab, displaying a unnecessary message box.
- Fixed a problem with the meaning of the COM Server UseMagnifier Window property being reversed.
- Fixed a problem displaying menu icons in 32-bit mode.
- Fixed a problem with autoscroll capture disabling scrollbars in other applications.
- Fixed a problem with setting the font properties and caption position in the COM Server for the caption annotation filter.
- Fixed a problem pasting in images directly into Snagit Studio from Adobe Photoshop.
- Fixed a problem dragging objects when zoom level is greater than 100% in Snagit Studio.
26 January, 2004: Snagit v7.0.3
- OneClick settings are now saved upon Windows shutdown.
- Added a "Tell a Friend" menu item to the Help menu.
- Updated the IE add-in to use XP style controls on Windows XP.
- Changed the order of the menu items for the Edit menu in the Preview Window.
- Changed the edit box label of the Proxy server and Port setting in the Web Output tab dialog.
- Fixed the annotation filter to correctly handle long strings with no spaces.
- Fixed the menu highlight color not following the Windows color scheme.
- Fixed the enumeration values for the COM Server's printer scaling method.
- Fixed a problem saving files with long filenames in Snagit Studio.
25 November, 2003: Snagit v7.0.2
- Fixed the problem with the Paint tools mouse cursors not being visible over solid black colors.
- Fixed a problem with the scrolling selection speed in the Preview and Editor windows.
- Fixed a problem with Printer Capture file output when TIFF format is not specified in the Output.
- Fixed a problem with multiple Outputs in Video capture.
- Fixed a filter status display problem in video capture mode. The annotation setting was not being shown.
- Fixed a Paint tools drawing problem when a drawing operation is extremely long in duration.
- Updated the catalogue menus in Snagit Studio to keep at least one catalogue open at all times.
3 November, 2003: Snagit v7.0.1
- Added F1 keyboard help file access for the Snagit OneClick configuration dialog.
- Updated help files for Snagit the Snagit add-ins.
- Updated Microsoft Excel and Outlook add-ins for compatibility with Microsoft Office 2003. Removed automatic pasting of captures for non e-mail based documents in Outlook.
- Fixed a problem with Preview window and Snagit Editor zoom.
- Fixed a problem with the File > Delete menu item being disabled in the text editing view.
- Fixed a problem with keyboard accessibility using the drop down menu buttons for Input, Output & Filters (only on XP).
- Fixed a problem with pasting an image that is larger then the canvas.
- Fixed a problem with the selection not displaying correctly after a new image is placed in the Preview Window.
November 2003: Snagit v7.0
- New Main User Interface window - The existing profile view has been updated and is now the "normal" view of Snagit. The traditional view of Snagit is available in "classic" view. The functionality of the previous profile list view is encapsulated in the new profile list box. The details of the user interface changes are summarized below.
- New Paint Tools - Added powerful image drawing tools to the Preview Window and the new Snagit Editor window. The drawing tools include to following capabilities:
- Pan - Navigate the image using the mouse for easy viewing.
- Magnifying glass - Zoom and out using the left and right mouse button. The mouse wheel will also zoom in and out.
- Selection - Select a portion of the image for copy, cutting, pasting, image effects, etc. Selections may be rectangular, elliptical, polygon or freehand. Support for transparent and opaque paste modes.
- Brush - Draw freehand on the image. Control the brush's color, shape, width, opacity, antialiasing & drop shadow.
- Line - Draw a line on the image. Control the line's color, shape, width, opacity, antialiasing and drop shadow. Also draw using Bezier curves.
- Arrow - Draw an arrow in the image. Same attributes as Line including setting the arrowhead style and size.
- Eraser - Freehand erase. Control the color, width, opacity and antialiasing.
- Text - Write text on the image. Control text font, layout, drop shadow, antialiasing, color, border and fill color.
- Stamp - Apply special effects & annotations. Snagit comes with many artistic stamps for you to use (arrows, callout boxes, cursors, pointers, etc.) Support alpha channel transparency, resizing, flipping and mirroring. Quickly download other additional stamps.
- Fill - Flood fill using any color. Control the fill tolerance and opacity.
- Shape - Draw any rectangular, rounded rectangle, elliptical or polygon shape. Control shape style.
- Spray can - Spray paint can. Control color, size, density, opacity and drop shadow.
- Eyedropper - Select any color using the left and right mouse buttons.
- Highlight - Highlight any part of the image using any color.
- Added Snagit Editor Window - This window allows direct access to drawing and editing tools found in the Preview Window and the Catalog Viewer window.
- Added Batch Conversion wizard - This wizard steps you through the complete batch conversion process.
- Added New OneClick Capture Window interface - This fly-out window has been added for quick access to your capture profiles. A single click immediately performs the capture.
- Added a Add Profile Wizard that steps through all capture options and lets you create a custom capture profile.
- Added Spotlight/Magnify effect - Bring out a specific area of the image by increasing the size of the area, or by dimming/blurring the non selected area.
- Added Perspective/Shear effect - Give images a 3D look by applying this effect.
- Added Join operation in the Preview and Snagit Editor windows. Deletes a vertical or horizontal band in the image and automatically joins the remaining parts.
- Added Cut to the Preview and Snagit Editor windows.
- Added Paste to the Preview and Snagit Editor windows.
- Added Redo to the Preview and Snagit Editor windows. Undo and Redo support an unlimited number of operations.
- Created a new Snagit add-ins for Microsoft Outlook - quickly access capture options from the Explorer and Inspector views. Take captures and immediately insert them into a new e-mail message.
- Added an Organize profiles dialog (File > Organize Profiles) to simplify profile management.
- Added all Snagit outputs to the Preview Window. Interactively select any of the outputs (e.g. File, Printer, E-mail, etc.)from the new Output toolbar.
- Added a balloon tips window to various locations in Snagit. These tip windows will only appear for a few times to help the first time user. Reset tips via the Help > Reset Balloon Tips menuitem.
- User Interface Changes for Normal View are as follows:
- The Input, Output, Filters menu have been relocated to the window client area, Capture settings pane.
- There are 3 new tabs organize Snagit's primary functions into Capture, Edit and Organize.
- Input and output properties can now be accessed via the ellipsis buttons next to the drop down menu controls.
- Printer capture has been moved to Tools > Snagit Printer Capture Settings.
- Input menu now has a scrolling option which is where all the scrolling capture inputs are now selected.
- A new File menu has been added.
- New Office style menus added.
- Video capture and Web capture preference dialogs have been moved to the Input Properties tab dialog.
- In Classic view, the Options menu has been removed. Items have been moved to the Tools and View menu. A new Mode and View menu has been added.
- Added image file formats to the Snagit Studio Open, Save and SaveAs dialogs. Now open or save directly any file type including Snagit Studio project files (i.e. .SSD).
- Added image import settings to the Snagit Studio File > Open dialog.
- Improved Catalogue background color and text color in Snagit Studio.
- Removed Import, Import options, and Export menu options from the Snagit Studio File menu.
23 July, 2003: Snagit v6.3
- v6.3.0 Added Image Edge Effects. Add drop shadows, torn edges, faded edges, and wave edges to your images. Effects may be applied during capture, after capture, or in a batch process.
- Added the Snagit add-in for Microsoft Excel. This plug-in provides a quick way to access Snagit options directly from Excel. It also allows Snagit's text capture to quickly insert tabular data in spreadsheet format.
- Enhanced image file format support. The newly added image file formats for both reading and writing are: Windows Icon (ICO), Enhanced Metafile (EMF), Windows Metafile (WMF),
- Encapsulated Postscript (EPS), Adobe Photoshop 3.0 (PSD), LeadTools (CMP), Macintosh Picture (PCT), GEM Image (IMG), WinFax (WFX), WordPerfect (WPG), SUN Raster (RAS), Microsoft Paint (MSP), IBM IOCA[RAW] (RAW), IBM IOCA[Wrapped] (ICA), CALS (CAL).
- Enhanced Windows Icon File format: Full color depth support (i.e. 1, 4, 8, 16, 24, 32 bit color), Transparency support - writes transparent color, reads transparency when capturing from a DLL or EXE, Multiple image icon files - appends new icon images to existing icons files.
- Added the ability to add text captions outside of the image capture area. Text captions may be posited above, below, left or right of the image. Vertical and horizontal text alignment is fully configurable.
- Enhanced text capture to capture text from a broader range of applications (e.g. Visual Studio.NET programs).
- Enhanced Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint add-ins and the Adobe Framemaker plug-in to include an option to display the preview window.
- Enhanced Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint add-ins and the Adobe Framemaker plug-in to include new capture input options, Graphic File and Text Capture[Auto scroll].
- Fixed a problem with sizing the File Open/Save dialogs.
9 May, 2003: Snagit v6.2.2
- Added the Snagit plug-in for Adobe Framemaker. This plug-in provides a quick way to access Snagit options directly from FrameMaker. It also allows Snagit to insert or reference screen capture images directly into a FrameMaker document.
- Fixed a problem with the Word add-in that caused Word to disappear if minimize on capture was not checked.
- Fixed a problem with the PowerPoint add-in that caused the add-in toolbar to not be deleted when the add-in is disabled.
- Fixed some problems with Snagit windows not being restored and foregrounded correctly after a capture.
15 April, 2003: Snagit v6.2.1
- Added F1 key help for the Word, PowerPoint and IE add-ins.
- Prevent changes to normal.dot file.
- Prevent Snagit from appearing on the taskbar after a COM server initiated capture.
- Fixed a problem with the IE add-in toolbar not working correctly on Internet Explorer 5.00.
- Fixed a Snagit Studio problem pasting multiple objects at the same time. This did not work with some SSD files.
1 April, 2003: Snagit v6.2
- Added the Snagit add-in for Microsoft Word. This provides a quick way to access Snagit options directly from Word. It also allows Snagit to insert or link screen capture images directly into a Word document.
- Added the Snagit add-in for Microsoft PowerPoint. This provides a quick way to access Snagit options directly from PowerPoint. It also allows Snagit to create new slides and insert or link screen capture images directly into a PowerPoint presentation.
- Added the Snagit add-in for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. This provides a quick way to access Snagit options directly from IE or Windows Explorer.
- Added the Snagit COM server interface. This allows other applications to access Snagit's capture functionality from any programming language that supports COM. Fox example, developers using Visual Basic, Visual C/C++, Visual Studio.Net, Delphi, C++ Builder can now embed and control Snagit directly in their applications.
- Added the option "Run Snagit when Windows Starts" in Program Preferences > Program Options.
- Added a "Reset Configuration" button in Program Preferences > Program Options that resets all settings back to the defaults.
- Added Program Preferences > Add-Ins tab to enable/disable the Snagit add-ins.
- Added a toolbar button for Scanner and Camera input in the Catalog Browser window.
- Enhanced Filters > Trim to allow values greater than 100 pixels.
- Enhanced Text capture to handle on double-byte character language text.
- Renamed TWAIN input as Scanners and Cameras.
- Fixed a problem with Object input capturing an application with many objects.
- Fixed printing from Print Preview when in Web capture mode.
- Fixed the scrollbar from displaying in the Program file capture dialog when no images are shown.
- Fixed the default values of the Filters > Effects dialogs.
- Fixed storing the Word wrap annotation settings in Filters > Annotation dialog.
- Fixed the renaming of folder in the Catalog Browser tree view. The Enter and Escape keys work correctly now.
- Fixed Window input highlighting on some applications where a foreground window is present.
5 December, 2002: Snagit v6.1.3
- Added a quick start help file that launches on application startup.
- Added keyboard accelerators in the profile view to help move items up or down in the profile list.
- Added the ability to capture irregularly shaped windows without capturing the area behind it (e.g. rounded Windows XP windows).
- Modified the catalog folder to be automatically created on startup. A sample image file is copied to the folder.
- Updated toolbar graphics in the preview window.
- Updated Word macro (snagmw97.dot) to work with Office XP.
- Fixed a problem with automatic file naming overwriting existing files in a directory.
- Fixed a problem with Printer Capture on Windows 2000/XP not printing tables correctly.
- Fixed a problem with Printer Capture on XP SP1: an error message was displayed for no reason.
- Snagit Studio: Added a new Tools menu in the main Studio window which provides a way to launch Snagit.
28 October, 2002: Snagit v6.1.2
- Improved Help menu organization.
- Updated help file documentation.
- Updated wizard graphic.
- Fixed a problem with using shortcut keys in the profile view.
18 Jul, 2002: Snagit v6.1.1
- Localization in German and French.
- Added the ability to delete a range of pages when viewing a multi-page printer capture or multi-page TIFF file.
- Improved the Web Capture proxy configuration. A new option will automatically use your web browser settings to configure your proxy settings.
- Improved the accessibility of the Program File capture dialog. The dialog is now fully Section 508 compliant.
- Fixed a problem with correctly displaying and applying the Image Resolution filter during a batch conversion.
- Fixed a problem with capturing menus in Office XP.
- Fixed a problem with printing very large images.
21 May, 2002: Snagit v6.1
- Added "Printer Capture". Snagit's Printer Capture feature allows you to capture and manipulate the print output from any application as a digital image. All of Snagit's filters and output redirection are supported for Printer Capture. Print to the paperless Snagit virtual printer. Convert any document type to standard image file formats. Convert any print output into an electronic document to be shared via email or the web. Add powerful Print Preview and enhanced printer processing to any application. Use Printer Capture when you cannot use screen capture. Note: This feature is not available on Windows NT 4.
- Implemented U.S. Government "Section 508" accessibility enhancements. Snagit is now more accessible than ever for users with disabilities.
- Added a "Create Web Page" feature in the Snagit Catalog Browser. Easily create a complete thumbnail Web page for any number of images. No HTML editing or programming required. Snagit creates Web pages in many customizable styles, even an animated SlideShow.
- Added "Wallpaper Output". This features allows images selected in the Catalog Browser to be quickly set as the Windows desktop Wallpaper. Added "Extended Window Capture".
- This is an XP only feature that allows you to resize a window to be much larger than the screen, and then capture the entire window including the window frame.
- Added full keyboard control for selecting regions, windows, and objects to capture. Precisely select a region with pixel level accuracy using the keyboard and magnifier window.
19 March, 2002: Snagit v6.0.2
- Updated Snagit so that it is now compliant with the Microsoft "Designed for Windows XP" specifications, and meets all of the requirements for applications that are designed to run on Windows XP.
- Fixed a problem where Snagit could lock up if a network printer driver is installed and there is no network connection. Note: This problem was not completely solved in the previous version.
14 January, 2002: Snagit v6.0.1
- Fixed a problem with the Catalog Viewer. Modifying a file outside the Catalog Viewer, that was also selected in the Catalog Viewer could cause Snagit to fail.
- Fixed a problem in the Catalog Browser. If you pressed the '+','-',',' or 'Ctrl-G' keys Snagit would fail.
- Fixed a problem where the scrollbar range was not being calculated correctly in the Catalog Viewer, which could cause black areas to appear in the scrolled image.
- Fixed a problem with video capture, where audio and video could become out of sync.
- Added new menu options and keyboard shortcuts to the Catalog Browser.
- Fixed a problem where the cursor would disappear when doing a capture if the Magnifier window was turned on.
- Fixed a problem where Snagit could lock up if a network printer driver is installed and there is no network connection.
12 November, 2001: Snagit v6.0
- Added Web Capture. Capture all of the following images from Web pages on the Internet, jpg, gif, and png's. Images are captured all at one time and stored on your computer. Also,
- There are many search and filtering options associated with this feature. Web Capture requires Internet Explorer version 4.01 or later.
- We now have the ability to capture DirectX related content, such as games and DVD output. Set input to DirectX to use this feature.
- We have enhanced our capture preview window, to allow zooming in and out of images, and added an improved region selection tool and grid display option.
- We now capture layered windows, which is a new style of window used on Windows 2000 and Windows XP for translucent and irregular shaped windows.
- Added new browsing and viewing enhancements to the Catalog Browser window. Floating and dock able tool bars. Added a thumbnail video, and image preview window. Preview images, and play videos from the thumbnail preview window.
13 September, 2001: Snagit v5.2.2
- Fixed a problem with two separate profiles using the same hotkey.
- Fixed a problem with the cursor not being included in the first capture made while in time capture mode.
- Fixed a problem where autofile naming would not loop for text files and avi files.
- Fixed a problem with the cursor not appearing in the zoom window until the first mouse movement was made.
- Eliminated excessive flicker in the Catalog Browser when resizing.
- Fixed a problem with Image File output saving withthe wrong file format when using upper case file names.
- Fixed a problem when specifying /H to hide Snagit. Changed Snagit so the capture wizard dialog does not come up when using this option.
- Fixed a problem when Snagit was minimized, if you invoked a capture of the Active Window using the tray icon menu, it always captured the task bar. This was specific to Windows 2000.
- Fixed a problem with the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V shortcuts not working in the Catalog Browser.
- Fixed a problem where Snagit would silently fail when it could not save a file in certain cases.
7 June, 2001: Snagit v5.2.1
- Fixed a problem with the registration form not being correctly generated.
- Fixed a program failure when pressing some accelerators in specific circumstances.
- Fixed a problem with the text annotation drop down list growing when switching profiles.
- Fixed a problem in Catalog Browser when the list was sorted by name: batch operations were not performed on every selected files.
30 April, 2001: Snagit v5.2
- Added applying image processing effects to a specific region from the "Capture Preview" and "Catalog Viewer" windows.
- Added the ability to capture multiple regions of the screen at one time. You can also deselect a region that you have already selected.
- Added post processing from the "Capture Preview" and the "Catalog viewer" windows, for Watermark, Annotation, Border, and Trim effects.
- Improved scrolling window coverage, we now scroll some windows that couldn't be scrolled.
- Added a delayed capture option. This allows a delay before a capture is started.
- Added schedule capture based on a time and date. Allows you to setup a time and date when Snagit will perform a capture.
- Added TWAIN support for scanners and digital cameras.
- Added an output option which sends a capture to Studio.
- Added the ability to capture non rectangular areas (shapes).
- Added the ability to save printer settings within Snagit.
- Added the ability to support TARGA files.
- Added the ability to scroll windows horizontally in addition to vertically.
- Added a Zoom feature which provides a magnifying window so you can see an enlarged area around the mouse cursor.
- Added a "tip of the day" feature, this will give a help tip on using Snagit.
- Improved AutoScroll performance by as much as 10 times in some cases.
- Loading (decompressing) and saving (compressing) JPEG files have been hand-optimized for (MMX, PII and PIII). Most files now compress 100% faster and decompress 50% faster.
- Text capture efficiency has been improved and is now faster on Windows NT.
- Timer settings are now assigned per profile.
- We now provide a registry fix for the error "AvI Class Not Registered" by using the "Avifix.reg" file.
- Add the ability to capture desktop Wallpaper using Snagit.
- Changed the default JPG file quality from 75% to 90%.
5 December, 2000: Snagit v5.1.1
- Increased the default audio quality to 22,050Hz 16-bit mono.
- Fixed problems with some audio cards/drivers, where pausing video capture and then resuming resulted in no audio, or garbled audio.
- Fixed problems capturing a cursor when an application (e.g. AutoCAD over a CAD drawing) has hidden the Windows cursor.
- Fixed a problem when saving to a GIF files with a color depth less than 8bits. The image would appear dithered.
- Changed Snagit so that launching Studio from the Snagit preview window doesn't overwrite the clipboard information.
- Changed the default video mode input to 320x240.
- Fixed a problem with Auto scroll taking a long time on Web pages that contain a huge number of objects.
- Fixed a problem with Object capture not immediately responding to cancel capture request, this problem occurred on pages with a large number of objects.
- Changed Snagit to detect capture hotkey conflicts between different profiles.
- Fixed a NT related problem which could lead to program and system failures, when certain applications were running during the text capture.
- Fixed a problem on 95/98/Me platforms. When capturing text from menus, list boxes or combo boxes, the text was captured backward.
- Fixed a problem where Snagit's Catalog Browser could take a very long time to open text files that actually contained binary data.
12 September, 2000: Snagit v5.1
- Added the "Program File" feature. This feature adds support to capture bitmaps, icons, and cursors from a resource file, such as "EXE" or "DLL".
- Added a border filter feature. This feature allows borders to be added around captures.
- Added multiple color substitution; allows multiple pairs of colors to be substituted on each capture.
- Added a watermark feature. This feature allows watermarks to be added to captures.
- Added a cropping and trimming filter. This feature allows trimming of the image capture size automatically.
- Added multiple images on a page feature. This feature allows multiple captures to be printed on a single page.
- Improved the Snagit "Quick Start Wizard". The general usability of the wizard was enhanced.
- Added the ability to capture text on NT and Windows 2000.
14 April, 2000: Snagit v5.0
- Added Object-based Custom Annotation
- Added multiple capture profiles
- Added mouse-driven capture
- Added ability to send images to the Web via ftp
2 September, 1999: Snagit v4.3.6
- Changed catalog browser to display a four digit year
- Changed auto-filenaming to use a four digit index number
- Fixed problem with compressed TIFF files
- Fixed problem with color palettes and slow AVI frame rates which occurred on some NT systems
- Fixed problem with pausing and resuming audio capture on some audio drivers
23 July, 1999: Snagit v4.3.5
- Improved autoscrolling in custom scrolling window dialogs
- Printing from preview window no longer automatically exits the preview mode window
- Fixed problem with printing from the preview window when multiple outputs are configured
- Fixed problem with parsing printer names in the printer output dialog
- Fixed problem with toggling off the tray icon feature from the tray icon menu
15 July, 1999: Snagit v4.3.4
- Fixed Snagit crash on shutdown/logoff on Windows NT
- Save settings when Snagit exits on Windows shutdown/logoff
- Fixed problems with Keep Aspect Ratio option in the Filters->Image Scaling->Custom Scale dialog
8 June, 1999: Snagit v4.3.3
- Improved auto-scrolling for Microsoft IE5.0 on Windows 98 and Windows 2000
- Improved image color reduction to 4-bit color and Windows Identity palette mode
- Added an auto-scroll delay setting to Options->Program Preferences->Program Options
- Added a clipboard text image width setting to Options->Program Preferences->Program Options
- Added support for video capture on Windows 2000
- Fixed problems with Snagit launching on Windows startup
- Fixed auto-scroll problems with IE5.0 on multi-monitor systems
- Fixed view display problem during rotate and undo operations
- Fixed problem with cropping and copying image from the viewer
5 April, 1999: Snagit v4.3.2
- Added a fast internal compression mode for video capture
- Added a command-line option to keep Snagit running after a oneshot capture
- Fixed Image menu shortcut key conflict
- Fixed video capture audio/video synchronization problem
- Fixed the Catalog Browser to work on a 16 color desktop
- Fixed wizard to not automatically start when the registry import option is used
3 February, 1999: Snagit v4.3.1
- Added shell commands to catalog browser
- Users can quickly open items with other applications
- AVI viewer window repaints immediately on trackbar change
- Added an Image Resolution setting to configure an image's resolution in dots per inch (dpi)
- Added Enterprise Install documentation
- Fixed problem reading corrupted GIF files
- Fixed Snagit helpfile problem reading FAQ contents page
- Fixed problem with setup program on systems using certain Matroxx cards
- Fixed foregrounding problem with "Ask for filename" dialog box on catalog output
- Fixed window focus problem - give focus to the correct window before capturing video
- Fixed AutoScroll of the Microsoft "HTML Help" window on Windows 98
- To avoid problems with some video codecs, Snagit now creates AVI files with dimensions that are rounded to a multiple of 4 pixels
- Fixed problems with the AVI file video codec not always being reported by Windows Explorer
- Fixed problems with File->SaveAs in the image capture preview window
16 November, 1998: Snagit v4.3 Released at Fall Comdex
- Added audio recording option during video capture
- Added transparent GIF support
- Added enhanced menu capture for cascading menus
- Added dual monitor support for Windows 98
- Fixed support for printers with non-ASCII characters in name
10 September, 1998: Snagit v4.2.3
- Workaround for recent HP printer driver problems
- Fixed color substitution problem
18 August, 1998: Snagit v4.2.2
- Added color substitution to preview and viewer windows
- Added Solarize filter to preview and viewer windows
- Added default button to Color Resolution dialog
- Modified Color menu layout. Moved more complex filters to a sub menu
- Fixed preview and viewer window resize/cropping re-paint problem.
- Fixed timed capture using fixed region input
- Fixed printer doesn't support bitmaps problem
- Fixed clipboard DIB resolution problem
15 June, 1998: Snagit v4.2.1 Released at PC Expo
- Smooth Scaling - ability to reduce image sizes and still maintain their readability.
- Image Effects - sharpen, blur, mosaic, emboss, shear, rotate, flip, edge detection, posterize, oilify, etc.
- Color Conversion - control image's color depth, palette, dithering method, brightness, contrast, hue, saturation,etc.
- Added full support for reading and writing BMP,GIF,JPEG,TIFF, PCX, and PNG graphic formats.
- Added advanced file format support, e.g. interlaced GIF, progressive JPEG,
- Added a treeview to the Catalog Browser window.
- Added a slow AVI capture and playback mode.
- Windows NT 3.51 no longer supported.
- Added a "Capture Comment" annotation option.
- Added a video capture focus rectangle toggle option.
- Added a View->Open menu option for video viewer window.
- Added an "Automatic Color" depth setting for file output.
- Added a default JPEG progressive save option.
- Added a Snagit macro that works in Microsoft Word 97.
- Modified include cursor mode to work with more input modes.
9 January, 1998: Snagit/32 v4.1.1, Snagit (16-bit) v2.6.3
- Added an option to disable the file delete confirmation dialog box in the Catalog browser.
- Added a File->Page Setup option to the preview window.
- Added automatic scrolling to the image crop feature in the preview and catalog viewer windows.
- Fixed problem of some printers only producing blank pages.
- Fixed problems using Autoscroll with IE4.0 and Outlook Express on Windows 95.
- (v2.6.3 only) Fixed problem that some readers had with monochrome bitmap file output.
17 November, 1997: Snagit v4.1 Released at Fall Comdex
- Added multimedia thumbnail browser and capture file manager.
- Fixed region capture speeds up grabbing multiple icons and buttons.
6 August, 1997: Snagit v4.0.1
- Fixed miscellaneous small bugs.
- Support for capturing scrolling windows in pre-release versions of Microsoft's IE 4.0.
17 June, 1997: Snagit v4.0 Released at PC Expo
- Windows desktop video capture. Saves animations and video as AVI files.
- Windows 95 text capture. Captures text where Cut and Paste fails -- including the Windows 95 File Explorer and Exchange client.
- Improved user interface.
16 April, 1997: Snagit v3.2.4
- Improved Active Capture window scrolling algorithm.
- Improved color reduction algorithm; preserve white color when reducing hi-color images to 256 or 16 colors.
24 February, 1997: Snagit v3.2.3
- Added a Quick Start Wizard to help users quickly learn to use and configure Snagit/32.
- Revised and enhanced the Snagit/32 help file.
- Added timer-activated capture feature.
- Alert and AutoScroll settings grouped into a Preferences dialog.
- Added a "Maximize Image Size" printer scaling option.
- Added a datetime stamp output option.
- Enhanced DDE command, esnag() updated to allow scale changes for non printed output.
13 January, 1997: Snagit v3.2.2
- Revised REGINFO.TXT text to encourage users to save and print their registration key information.
- Fixed problem with DDE command "snag(exit)".
- Fixed problem with About Box child window order.
- Fixed problem in long filename support.
12 December, 1996: Snagit v3.2.1
- Fixed problem with color substitution selection on Windows 95 systems running greater than 256 colors.
- Fixed problem capturing last active window when the capture is initiated from the system tray.
- Fixed problem with printer output setup dialog displaying an incorrect specific printer.
- Auto generated filenames are padded with leading zeros.
18 November, 1996: Snagit v3.2 Released at Fall Comdex
- Added Snagit Preview window. Allows captures to be viewed before sending the image to the output. Print Preview feature is available from the Snagit Preview Window.
- Added color substitution feature. Allows users to replace any color (or range of colors) found on the desktop with another color.
- Added Snagit system tray icon (for Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 users).
- Allows users access to all Snagit configuration options from a popup menu. Also allows captures to be initiated with the mouse.
- Added Repeat Last Capture hotkey. Captures the same input source captured previously.
- Added Full Screen DOS input setting. Simplifies configuration for full screen DOS captures.
- Allows numeric keys to be specified in Snagit hotkeys.
- Applications that use "sendkeys" can now invoke hotkeys.
- Fixed automatic detection of default printer changes.
- Fixed Snagit operation on multi-display systems.
10 September 1996: Snagit v3.1.3
- Includes minor enhancements, bug fixes and improved support for long file names.
June 1996: Snagit v3.1 Released at Spring Comdex
This is the first Windows screen capture utility that moves beyond simple screen capture by adding support for capturing scrolling windows. TechSmith labels this feature Active Capture.
Other features, including GIF support, are added.
January 1996: Snagit/32 (v3.0) Released for Windows 95
TechSmith maintains the easy-to-use interface and core functionality Snagit user have previously enjoyed while adding many new features to a native 32-bit version.
TechSmith releases the Twin Pack to address the needs of individuals and organizations dealing with the transition to Windows 95 & NT. The Twin Pack contains Snagit/32 v3.0 for Windows 95 & NT, and Snagit v2.6 for Windows 3.1x.
November 1995: 32 Bit Preview at Fall Comdex
TechSmith previews Snagit/32 as a Microsoft Solution Provider.
August 1995: Snagit v2.5
Many new features including mouse pointer capture, pcx and color TIFF support, and automatic file naming. This is the last major upgrade of the 16 bit version.
July 1995: Snagit v2.2
Snagit 2.2 receives a four star rating in Ziff-Davis' Interactive Review Summary Report.
May 1995: Snagit v2.2
Snagit 2.2 receives a five star rating in the I-Way Patrol section of PC Computing.
December 1994: Snagit v2.2
TechSmith triples the number of registrations.
August 1993: Snagit v2.1
This release adds the inverse option and real value scaling.
June 1992: Snagit v2.0.2
A full-featured version of Snagit is distributed as shareware and found on BBS's around the world. A new client bitmap is added.
Windows 3.1 arrives on the scene and begins to gain mainstream acceptance.
March 1991: Snagit v1.6.1
Snagit 1.6 is distributed in the "Windows Secrets" book by Brian Livingston. He described it as "the utility Microsoft Windows forgot". This version includes additional output and input features.
Spring 1991: Snagit v1.0
The first commercial version of Snagit is released. The first ad is placed in InfoWorld. Windows is still in the early stages of acceptance so people haven't discovered why they need Snagit.
Fall 1990: Snagit v1.0
TechSmith decides to create a commercial version of Snagit. Features are added to the internal use version. A demo version is uploaded to several shareware bulletin boards.
May 1990: Snagit v1.0
Snagit is born as a simple screen capture and print utility. The program is initially developed as an in-house utility to document early Microsoft Windows applications for TechSmith's clients.
Help make Snagit even better!
We want your suggestions for new features in future releases of Snagit. Great ideas? Please contact email@example.com.