Recording with the Portable Recorder
Run the Camtasia Relay portable recorder from a mobile storage device if there is any reason you cannot (or should not) record and upload directly from the presentation computer.
Examples of when to use the portable recorder
- You need to record on a computer where you do not have permission to install applications.
- You need to record on a computer with limited or no network access.
- You want to record several presentations and upload them collectively at a later time.
Depending on your organization, the portable recorder may or may not be available. Contact your administrator for more information.
Download the Portable Recorder
If you need a portable version of Camtasia Relay, use the following process to install the portable recorder on a mobile storage device, such as a USB flash drive.
- Log in to the Camtasia Relay website.
- Click Recorder Download.
- Plug in a mobile storage device and format the device as FAT32.
- Click Download Portable Recorder and save the .zip file to your computer.
- You may have to request the portable recorder. Click the button to send a request to your administrator.
- Locate and open PortableCamtasiaRelay.zip.
- Copy all files from the .zip file onto the mobile storage device. All files from the .zip folder need to be copied to the root of the device.
Run the Portable Recorder
Depending on the operating system and security settings of a computer, you can start the portable recorder in one of the following ways.
- Windows Operating System with AutoPlay Enabled
Under certain conditions, when you connect a mobile storage device that contains the portable recorder with a computer, you are presented with the option to immediately start the application.
Click Start Camtasia Relay to run the portable recorder.
- Windows Operating System with AutoPlay Disabled
If AutoPlay is disabled, to run recorder:
- Open Windows Explorer (Right-click Start and select Explore.)
- Navigate to the mobile storage device.
- Double-click PC Relay Recorder.exe.
- Mac Operating System
- Navigate to the mobile storage device.
- Double-click Mac Relay Recorder.
Log In to the Portable Recorder
There are some considerations to keep in mind when you attempt to log in to the Camtasia Relay portable recorder.
- To log in on the portable recorder, you must first run the
portable recorder on a computer that can connect to the Camtasia Relay
To do this, connect the mobile storage device to a computer with the "regular" Camtasia Relay recorder installed on it. Open the portable recorder and log in. This saves your presenter information on the portable recorder and allows you to access your profiles when you are not connected to the server.
- If you run the portable recorder without previously logging in while connected to the server, you are not able to log in. Identify yourself as a guest to use the Upload and Decide Later profile.
Record with the Portable Recorder
You may notice a few differences when running Camtasia Relay from a mobile storage device, but generally, the process of recording is the same.
- Click the View Presentations button to see and upload the presentations saved to the mobile storage device.
- In most cases, you will not be connected to the server. When you see the Offline icon , you are not connected to the server.
- After you finish recording, you must save your file to the mobile storage device running the Camtasia Relay portable recorder. You cannot submit it for upload from the computer you are using.
- You may not be able to log in.
- When you finish your recording, click Save to save the presentation to the mobile storage device.
- If you are running the portable recorder on a computer with Camtasia Relay installed, you can choose to save your presentation or submit it for upload to the server.
- To upload saved presentations, connect the mobile storage device to a computer with Camtasia Relay installed on it. You can then upload presentations from the portable recorder.
Upload Presentations from the Portable Recorder
To upload saved presentations from a mobile storage device, you must connect the mobile storage device to a computer with the "regular" Camtasia Relay recorder installed on it.
You can submit saved presentations at any time. If you are not connected to the internet, the presentations automatically start to upload to the server when your computer is next connected.
To submit saved presentations for upload:
- Click the View Saved Presentations button.
The Saved Presentations dialog box opens.
- Click Upload All to submit all of the presentations for upload or click to submit individual presentations.
- If you are online and connected to the server, your presentation(s) start to upload.
- If you are offline, your presentation(s) are stored on the computer and automatically upload to the server when your computer is next online and connected.