Why integrate through LTI?
While it’s possible to share media with students using direct links or video embed, an LTI integration allows users to:
- View media uploaded to TechSmith Knowmia directly in Moodle using their login credentials.
- Automatically transfer completed quiz results from media uploaded to Knowmia into the Moodle gradebook.
To complete the LTI integration, you will need access to both the Knowmia Site Administration controls and the administration controls of Moodle.
Setting up an LTI integration on the Knowmia website
- Log in to your Knowmia website as a site administrator.
- Click the Site Admin tab.
- Under Settings, locate the LTI Integrations section. Click Add a new integration.
- Select Moodle from the dropdown and click Create.
- The integration details are displayed. In the next section, we explain where to copy and paste these fields into Moodle to complete the integration.
Note: The Consumer Key and Secret are randomly generated and unique to your Knowmia website. You may use these values for multiple Moodle instances such as testing and production environments.
Completing the LTI integration in current versions of Moodle (instructions for older versions can be found further below)
- Log in to Moodle as an administrator.
- In the Administration panel, Select the Site administration dropdown to expose additional options.
- Select the Plugins option, then click Activity modules > External tool > Manage tools.
- Click configure a tool manually.
- In the Tool settings section, enter a Tool name users will recognize, paste the Launch URL (Tool URL), Consumer key, and Shared secret from the dialog in Knowmia into the corresponding fields.
- Set the Tool configuration usage option to "Show as preconfigured tool when adding an external tool".
- Important: Under Privacy, set the Share launcher’s email with tool option to "Always". Knowmia needs an email address from the user to track views and quizzing on Knowmia media.
Optional: To provide helpful usernames in Knowmia for viewing video analytics and quiz results, set the Share launcher’s email with tool to Always.
- Click Save changes to complete the LTI integration.
- The integration will be displayed in the list of tools with the name you provided:
Your Knowmia integration should now be complete! For directions on adding media to courses, see Moodle Integration: Adding Media to Your Course.