Note: To learn how to edit text in a screenshot or imported image, see Edit Text in an Image.
Note: Tools are only available for image captures. Share your video to TechSmith Camtasia to enhance it with annotations and effects.
Add a Text Box
- Click the Text tool in the Snagit Editor toolbar.
Note: If you customized the toolbar, you may need to click the More dropdown to select the tool. See Customize the Snagit Toolbar.
- Select a Quick Style or edit the tool properties to customize the tool. See Tool Properties.
- Click and drag on the Canvas to draw a text box.
- Type the desired text in the text box.
Note: To add text with a background color, border, or arrow, use the Callout Tool instead.
Edit or Remove a Text Box
Click to select the text box on the Canvas and complete any of the following to edit:
- Change the current text style by clicking a Quick Style or edit the Tool Properties.
- Type to enter text in the text box.
- To delete the text box, press the Delete key.
Edit the properties to customize the tool.
Tip: Save your customizations as a Quick Style for future use. See Quickly Access Favorite Styles and Tools.
- Fill: Change the interior color.
- Outline: Change the color outlining text.
Click the dropdown and select one of the following to set the color:
- Click to select a preset or color from the palette.
- Enter a HEX or RGB value into the field.
- Click the Eyedropper button and then click to select a color from anywhere on the screen.
Click to select a shadow direction. To turn off the shadow, click to deselect the shadow direction.
Advanced Shadow Properties
Click the dropdown arrow to access additional Shadow properties:
- Color: Select a color for the shadow.
- Angle (Windows only): Set the direction of the shadow extending from the tool.
- Distance: Increase/decrease the distance between the tool and the shadow.
- Opacity: Increase/decrease the transparency of the shadow.
- Blur: Increase/decrease the clarity of the shadow.
- Font: Click the dropdown to select a font.
- Font Size: Drag the slider or enter a value to adjust the font size.
- Font Style (Mac Only): Click the dropdown to select the text formatting: Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic. For Windows, see Advanced Text Properties for more formatting options.
- Line Width: Drag the slider or enter a value to adjust the width of the text outline. Set to 0 to remove the outline from the text.
Advanced Font Properties
Click the dropdown arrow to access additional font properties.
- Style: Click to select the text formatting: Bold (Windows), Italic (Windows), Underline, Strikethrough (Mac). For Mac, see Font Style for more formatting options.
- Alignment: Click to select the horizontal or vertical text alignment.
- Padding (Windows only): Adjust the space surrounding the text.
- Opacity: Drag the slider to adjust the text transparency level.