Why use LTI?
While it’s possible to share media with students using direct links or video embed, an LTI integration allows users to:
- View media uploaded to TechSmith Knowmia directly in Blackboard using their login credentials.
- Automatically transfer completed quiz results from media uploaded to Knowmia into the Blackboard Grade Center.
To complete the LTI integration, you will need access to both the Knowmia Site Administration controls and the administration panel of Blackboard.
Setting up an LTI integration in the TechSmith Knowmia Site Administration panel
- Log in to your Knowmia website as a site administrator.
- Click the Site Admin tab.
- Under Settings, locate the LTI Integrations section. Click Add a new integration.
- Select Blackboard from the dropdown and click Create.
- The integration details are displayed. For information on where to copy and paste these fields into Blackboard, see Creating the LTI integration in Blackboard.
Note: The Consumer Key and Secret are randomly generated and unique to your Knowmia website. You may use these values for multiple Blackboard instances such as testing and production environments.
Note: If you need to view the Integration Details at a later time, click the eye icon next to the integration name.
Creating the LTI integration in Blackboard
- Log in to Blackboard as an administrator.
- Select the System Admin tab.
- Under the Integrations section, click LTI Tool Providers.
- Click the Register Provider Domain tab.
- Enter the Provider Domain (e.g. yourorganization.knowmia.com or yourorganization.techsmithrelay.com).
- Under the Default Configuration section, select Set Globally and enter the Tool Provider Key and Tool Provider Secret from Knowmia.
- Under the Organization Policies section, select one of the options for Send User Data.
Note: We do not recommend selecting Never or users will be unable to upload and view content from Knowmia.
- Under the User Fields to Send section, select the Constituency in Course and Email Address checkboxes. If desired, select the optional Name checkbox to provide usernames in your Knowmia video analytics and quiz results.
- To finish creating the LTI integration, click Submit.
Creating a Placement for your LTI integration in Blackboard
You must manually add the LTI integration to one or more Blackboard menus. LTI tools are typically placed in the Tools, Assessments, Mashups, or Create menus. You can add several menu placements that connect to a single LTI integration.
- Hover over the LTI integration you want to add to a menu and click the options button (1). Select Manage Placements (2).
- Click the Create Placement tab.
- The Create Placement dialog opens. Enter a Label and a Handle for the LTI integration.
- Under the Type section, select Course content tool. To enable Knowmia to report video and quiz grades directly to the Blackboard gradebook, check Allows evaluation.
- Enter the Launch URL from your LTI integration details. (The Key and Secret fields should already be populated.)
- To complete your placement, click Submit.
Note: Each placement adds the LTI tool to a single menu. Follow the steps again to add additional menu placements.
Optional: Download and add this Knowmia icon to your tool configuration.
(right-click on image and choose 'Save image as...')
Your installation and configuration of the Knowmia LTI integration is now complete. Please follow the steps for Adding Media to Your Blackboard Course to test your integration.