Connect Observer to Recorder
This tutorial covers the basics of connecting Observer to view a session running on Recorder.
- Recorder must be running.
- In Recorder, the Allow Observer option must be enabled in the Recording Details area of the study configuration.
If the Allow Observer option is disabled, you may be able to connect, but you cannot view the video streams.
To connect to Recorder:
- Start Observer.
- When the Connect to Recorder dialog box appears, enter the name or IP address of the computer running Recorder.
- Change the Port number, if needed.
The person that set up the study configuration will know if you need to change the port number. This is not used very often.
- Enter or change the Observer name.
The name in this field is associated with all markers created from this Observer during this session. Recorder does not allow two Observers with the same Observer name to connect to the same session.
If this observer is the task logger or will start and stop the recording, then the name you enter here must match the one designated in the study configuration in Recorder.
- Select the session options. You will want to enable the Mute Audio checkbox if you are able to hear the session audio without using Observer.
- Enable the Save Session as WMV checkbox if you want to save a copy of the recording to your computer at the end of the session.
- Click Connect.
If the connection is successful, the status bar indicates Observer is connected to Recorder.
If you need to change these settings during a session, disconnect from the recording, open the connection dialog, update the settings, and click Connect. You will reconnect to the same session.