Define Study Details
The study-specific information defined in the Study Details dialog box should be the same for all recordings in a study.
If you modify study details, new recordings will not automatically match recordings previously made using this study configuration. You can merge these recordings later into a single study in Manager. For more information, see the Morae Manager Help.
See the following topics for more information:
- Define the Study Description
- Define the Study Tasks
- Define the Study Markers
- Define the Study Surveys
The name and description appear in Recorder and are available when you import recordings into Manager.
Put information in these fields to describe why and when you would want to use this configuration. It will help you to choose the correct study configuration for a session. Put information in the Study Instuctions field to describe the scenario or any special instructions for the participant.
The study name and instructions can appear on the computer running AutoPilot. They are presented to the participant before they begin a session. You can also pull these instructions into Microsoft Word to create handouts if you are not using AutoPilot to run your session.
The fields in the Task Definitions tab of the Study Details dialog box define the task names, descriptions, instructions, and success scores.
To define a Task:
- Click Add to create a new task.
- Enter a name and description for the task.
If you are the task logger, once you enter a Start task marker in Observer, you choose the task from a dropdown list. Put information in these fields to give the task logger enough information to quickly select the correct choice when entering a Start task marker.
- Enter participant instructions for the task.
Task instructions appear on the computer running AutoPilot. The task instructions are presented to the participant to guide them through a session. Put information in this field to describe the task for the participant.
You can also pull these instructions into Microsoft Word to create handouts if you are not using AutoPilot to run your session.
- Modify the Success scores, if needed.
Success scores apply to all the tasks in a study. If you are the task logger, once you enter an End task marker, you choose the score from a dropdown list. You can use the default completion rate scores or create your own scale.
After importing recordings into Manager, you can quickly create a task score graph to automatically calculate and visually display the completion rate. Completion rate is a standard metric used to analyze usability tests.
The fields in the Marker Definitions tab of the Study Details dialog box define the marker colors, types, definitions, and scores. Markers allow you to flag important points in a recording including errors, quotes, and the start and end of tasks. For example, you can create markers for
- Participant actions
- Participant comments and questions
- Observations about how the participant performs a task
- Interesting comments or actions to include in a highlight video
To define a Marker:
- Click Add to create a new marker.
- Select a color and type (letter) and add a description to define the marker.
Observers can use <CTRL+[letter]> as a keyboard shortcut to log tasks in Observer, where [letter] is the letter assigned in the Type column.
- Color distinguishes the markers on the Manager Timeline.
- Type is a letter that is used in combination with CTRL as a keyboard shortcut for entering a marker in Observer.
- Definition explains to observers what each marker should be used to flag during a session.
- Modify the Marker scores, if needed.
Marker scores apply to all markers in a study. After entering a marker, observers can include a score. For example, if you use marker scores for errors, analysis would determine the average severity of the errors. You can use the default marker scores or create your own scale.
After importing recordings into Manager, you can create marker score graphs to automatically calculate and visually display the marker severity rate.
You cannot edit Start task and End task marker definitions; they are required for logging tasks. You can change the color or letter (type).
Morae includes the ability to deliver multiple surveys during a session. The participant answers are captured and saved with the recording file. When you import the recordings into Manager, you can review, adjust, analyze, and graph survey responses.
You can choose to associate surveys with session events. Session events include the beginning and end of the recording, as well as the end of each defined task. By associating a survey with a session event, it is “linked” to that event.
To create a new survey:
- In the Survey Definitions tab, click Add. The Survey Definition dialog box opens.
- Enter the Survey Details.
- Select Custom Questions.
- Define questions for the survey. For more on adding questions and the available types, see Survey Question Types.
- When you finish adding questions, click OK to close the Survey Definition dialog box.