Lesson 3: Finish the Study Configuration
After you set up the Study Details (tasks, markers, and survey definitions), configure the Machine Settings to specify how to record sessions on a given computer, create a test recording, and save the configuration.
In this lesson we will cover:
Machine Settings let you modify:
- Screen video compression and frame rate
- Audio device and volume
- Hotkey setup
- Output folder and performance options
To modify the Machine Settings by removing desktop wallpaper during recording:
- In Recorder, click Machine Settings.
- Click the Preferences tab.
- Check the Remove desktop wallpaper during capture box and click OK.
Cut down on the file size of a recording by turning off the desktop wallpaper during recording.
A test recording shows exactly what will be recorded during a session. Use the test recording to verify Recorder is correctly recording audio, screen video, and webcam video.
- In Recorder, click Test Recording.
- When prompted, click Yes to continue. The screen is recorded for about ten seconds.
The desktop wallpaper disappears during recording and comes back when recording is complete.
- The test recording plays automatically when complete.
During recording, a recording icon appears in the System Tray.
- Verify you can hear audio, see the screen, and see the webcam video.
Once you complete and test the study configuration, click the Save button in Recorder to enter a file name and save the configuration.
Each time you create or modify a study configuration, make sure to save the new or updated file.
Continue with the next lesson: Record and Log Participants