Record More (or Less) than the Main Monitor
Want to record more (or less) than the main monitor? Learn about the available screen options and how to record the full desktop or just a portion of it.
See the following topics for more information:
For the main video source, you can select from screen, camera, or both. You have the following options to record from screen:
- Screen (Primary Monitor): Record the desktop of the monitor set as the primary monitor.
- Screen (Entire Desktop): Record the desktop of all monitors connected to the computer.
- Screen (Region): Select and record a portion of the desktop.
Some things to remember:
- The more monitors you record, the larger the recording file size.
- Windows Media Player may have issues with playing videos with a resolution larger than 1600 x 1200. This will apply to most recordings of multiple monitors. You can scale these recordings during highlight video production in Morae Manager.
- If you choose to record only a region of the entire desktop, make sure that the region includes all activity that you want to record. Video and data are only collected from the selected region.
- Once you start recording, you cannot distinguish a recording region from the rest of the desktop of the computer running Recorder.
- When you record a region, Observers can see only the selected region.
- If you have multiple monitors, but only want to record from one that is not the main monitor, use Screen (Region) and select the desktop of only one monitor.
To record only a portion of the full computer desktop, choose to record any rectangular Region of the desktop.
You may want to record a region for any of the following reasons:
- You want to capture one monitor that is not the primary monitor.
- You want to capture an area that spans more than one monitor but do not want to record the entire desktop.
- You are only interested in what happens in one area of the desktop, possibly in one application. (Saves file size while recording at full size.)
To record a region:
- Open Recorder.
- Select Screen (Region) in the Main video source dropdown list.
- Define the rest of the study configuration.
- Click the Record button. The Region Selection dialog box opens.
- Modify the selected region by:
- Click and drag the corners of the region box.
- Click the center of the region to move the entire region.
- Click Select Region in the Region Selection dialog box. Click and drag to select a region.
- After you select the correct region, click Record in the Region Selection dialog box to begin recording.