Posting TechSmith Relay Notifications to Blackboard
What is the TechSmith Relay Blackboard Building Block?
The Blackboard building block for TechSmith Relay is basically a plugin for Blackboard, which extends its functionality, allowing it to communicate with TechSmith Relay. To successfully post notifications, Blackboard must be enabled as a publishing destination on the TechSmith Relay website, and you must also have the TechSmith Relay building block installed on your Blackboard server.
Note: This feature does not send actual videos from TechSmith Relay to your Blackboard installation. Rather, it allows you to send notifications that TechSmith Relay videos have been processed, and are ready to view.
Where do I Enable the TechSmith Relay Blackboard Building Block?
TechSmith Relay can automatically post announcements on Blackboard. Configuring Blackboard announcements is a two-step process. First, install the TechSmith Relay Building Block on Blackboard and establish the Shared Secret. Next, configure TechSmith Relay to publish Blackboard announcements.
Install the TechSmith Relay Building Block
- Locate the TechSmith Relay Building Block (RelayAnnounce.war) installed during the server installation at: C:\Program Files\Techsmith\Relay Server\Blackboard Building Block
- Go to your Blackboard site. i.e. http://blackboard.example.com.
- Click User Login and sign in as a System Administrator.
- Click the System Admin tab.
- Click Building Blocks.
- Click Installed Tools.
- Click the Upload Building Blocks button.
- Under Install Building Block, browse to RelayAnnounce.war. Click Open.
- Click the Submit button and verify that the Building Block is available.
- Click the Settings button. This displays the Shared Secret.
- Choose and enter a secure Shared Secret, and make a note of it, as you will also need to enter the Shared Secret into TechSmith Relay.
Note: The configuration steps vary depending on your version of Blackboard LearnTM. TechSmith Relay currently supports release 9.1. The TechSmith Relay Blackboard plug-in has been tested with version 9.1.407.
To Configure a Blackboard Server:
- Go to Profiles > Notification Server Setup > Blackboard Server tab.
- Enter a title (name) for the server.
- Enter the Blackboard URL and Shared Secret.
- Click Save.
What Are the Requirements I Should Know About?
You can find a list of all TechSmith Relay system requirements in the TechSmith Relay Installation Guide, located on the TechSmith Relay Documentation Page.
On a security note - if Blackboard notification is enabled, then ports 80 and 443 must be open (outgoing) between all TechSmith Relay servers and the designated Blackboard server. More information can be found in the TechSmith Relay Server Security Administrator Guide, also located on the TechSmith Relay Documentation Page.
What Versions of Blackboard are Supported?
Blackboard Learn 9.1