Why use LTI?
While it’s possible to share media with students using direct links or video embed, an LTI integration provides the following benefits:
- Viewers do not need to manage separate TechSmith Relay and Blackboard accounts to view TechSmith Relay media. Instead, they are authorized when they use their Blackboard credentials.
- The content is delivered in Blackboard, a system already familiar to viewers.
- Quizzes added to media in TechSmith Relay can be automatically graded and entered into the Blackboard Grade Center.
Before you get started
To complete the LTI integration, you will need to access both the TechSmith Relay Site Administration controls and the administration panel of Blackboard. In many organizations, the TechSmith Relay administrator and Blackboard administrator are the same person. If this is not the case, some external coordination may be necessary to gain access to both sites.
Setting up an LTI integration in the TechSmith Relay Site Administration panel
- Log into your TechSmith Relay website as a site administrator.
- Access the Site Admin tab in TechSmith Relay.
- Under Settings, locate the LTI Integrations section. All existing LTI integrations are listed here. To start, you’ll have none. Click Add a new integration.
- Select Blackboard from the dropdown, and click Create.
- The Integration Details are displayed. These fields will need to be copied and pasted into Blackboard later.
Note: The Key and Secret are randomly generated and unique to your TechSmith Relay website. You may use these values for multiple Blackboard instances, such as testing and production environments.
The next section will cover how to add the integration in the Blackboard administration panel. However, if you need to open the Integration Details at a later time, click the icon next to the integration name.
Creating the LTI integration in Blackboard
- Log in to Blackboard as an administrator.
- Click the System Admin tab.
- Under the Building Blocks section, click Building Blocks.
- Click LTI Tool Providers.
- Next, select Register Provider Domain.
- Enter the Provider Domain (e.g. yourorganization.techsmithrelay.com).
- For the Default Configuration, select Set Globally and enter the Tool Provider Key and Tool Provider Secret from TechSmith Relay.
- In the Oganization Policies section, make sure that Send User Data is not set to "Never". In User Fields to Send, "Constituency in Course" and "Email Address" must both be checked. It is not required that you Show User Acknowledgment for the LTI integration to work (option not shown below).
- Click Submit and you'll be redirected to the LTI Tool Providers menu.
Creating a Placement for your LTI integration in Blackboard
Once the LTI integration has been added, you need to decide which Blackboard menu(s) it will appear in by adding a Placement. LTI tools can be placed in the Tools, Assessments, Mashups, or Create menus, and you can add multiple placements that connect to a single LTI integration.
- Mouse over the LTI integration you added, click the grey options button (1), and then select Manage Placements (2).
- Click Create Placement.
- In the Create Placement dialog, give your LTI integration a Label and a Handle.
- Set the Type to Content Type, and in the Content Type dropdown, select which menu you would like the LTI tool to appear in. If you would like TechSmith Relay to be able to report video and quiz grades to the Blackboard gradebook, check the box labeled "Placement allows evaluation".
- Next, enter the Launch URL from TechSmith Relay. (The Key and Secret fields should already be populated.)
- Finally, click Submit.
Your installation and configuration of the TechSmith Relay LTI integration should now be complete. Please follow the steps for Adding Media to Your Blackboard Course to test your integration.
The complete list of tutorials and guides for TechSmith Relay users and administrators.
Looking for TechSmith Relay (Self-Hosted) tutorials? We've got those, too.