Why install the building block?
While it’s possible to share media with students using embed code or URLs, the TechSmith Relay building block provides the following benefits:
- Viewers do not need to manage separate TechSmith Relay and Blackboard accounts to view TechSmith Relay media. Instead, they are authorized when they use their Blackboard credentials.
- The content is delivered in Blackboard, a system already familiar to viewers.
- Quizzes added to media in TechSmith Relay can be automatically graded and entered into the Blackboard Grade Center.
Before you get started
To complete the installation and integration, you will need to access both the TechSmith Relay Site Administration controls and the administration panel of Blackboard. In many organizations, the TechSmith Relay administrator and Blackboard administrator are the same person. If this is not the case, some external coordination may be necessary to gain access to both sites.
Setting up an LTI integration in the TechSmith Relay Site Administration panel
- Log into your TechSmith Relay website as a site administrator.
- Access the Site Admin tab in TechSmith Relay.
- Under Settings, locate the LTI Integrations section. All existing LTI integrations are listed here. To start, you’ll have none. Click Add a new integration.
- Select Blackboard from the dropdown, and click Create.
- The Integration Details are displayed. These fields will need to be copied and pasted into Blackboard later.
Note: The Key and Secret are randomly generated and unique to your TechSmith Relay website. You may use these values for multiple Blackboard instances, such as testing and production environments.
The next section will cover how to execute the integration in the Blackboard administration panel. However, if you need to open the Integration Details at a later time, click the icon next to the integration name.
Downloading the TechSmith Relay building block
The TechSmith Relay building block is a free plug-in for Blackboard Learn users. After installing, Blackboard administrators can expose TechSmith Relay to course instructors.
About the building block file
Blackboard building blocks are .war files. This package will be uploaded to your Blackboard server during the installation steps that follow.
For more help with installing and managing building blocks, see this Blackboard article.
Installing the TechSmith Relay building block in Blackboard
- Log in to Blackboard as an administrator.
- Click the System Admin tab.
- Under the Building Blocks section, click Building Blocks.
- Click Installed Tools.
- Select Upload Building Blocks.
- Click Browse. Then select the TechSmith Relay .war file you downloaded earlier.
- After selecting the .war file to upload, click Submit.
- Review the Privileges (no changes should be necessary) and click Approve.
- Important: Allow the installation progress to reach 100% before continuing.
- Once the installation progress reaches 100%, click Return.
Installation of the TechSmith Relay building block should now be complete. Next, you will configure and expose the building block for your instructors.
Configuring and exposing the TechSmith Relay building block
- Locate TechSmith Relay in the list of installed building blocks. Then, in the fly-out menu, click Settings.
- Click Edit System Settings.
- In the Name and Description fields, enter text that will help your instructors identify the tool. (Suggestion: Use "TechSmith Relay" as the name.)
- In the Connection Details section, paste the Launch URL, Consumer Key, and Consumer Secret values from TechSmith Relay into the appropriate fields.
- Under Placement, select the content menu location where you'd like to expose the TechSmith Relay plugin. This is the menu your instructors will access to add TechSmith Relay content to their courses. Options include the Tools menu, the Assessments menu, and three sub-areas in the Content menu.
Optional: You may also choose to make TechSmith Relay available as a Course Tool or a Mashup (this is the Mashup found in the Rich Content Editor). For either of these options, check the appropriate box.
- Review the Course Role Mappings (no changes should be necessary).
- Click Submit to confirm the building block settings.
The TechSmith Relay building block should now be properly configured. Next, you'll need to check access to the tool.
Granting access to the TechSmith Relay building block
Depending on your tool accessibility settings, it may be necessary to adjust the availability for TechSmith Relay. These settings can be found under System Admin > Tools and Utilities > Tools.
Scroll down to find TechSmith Relay in your list of tools and ensure that the tool you installed is available to users:
If you make changes to the availability, click Submit to save those changes.
Your installation and configuration of the TechSmith Relay building block should now be complete. Please follow the steps for Adding Media to Your Blackboard Course to test your integration.
This is the complete list of our tutorials and guides for TechSmith Relay users and administrators.
Looking for TechSmith Relay (Self-Hosted) tutorials? We've got those, too.