In this tutorial, we’ll walk through integrating TechSmith Relay with Brightspace, a learning management system made by D2L. The integration uses the LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) standard, exposed via a Brightspace Quicklink (CIM).
Why Integrate through LTI?
While it’s possible to share media with students using embed code or direct URLs, an LTI integration provides the following benefits:
- Viewers do not need to manage separate accounts to display TechSmith Relay media in an LMS. Instead, they are authorized via their LMS credentials.
- The content is delivered within a system (an existing LMS) already familiar to viewers.
- Quizzes added to media in TechSmith Relay can be automatically graded and entered into the Brightspace gradebook.
Before you get started: In order to set up the LTI integration, you'll need administration rights for both your TechSmith Relay website and your LMS. This may require coordinating with someone else in your organization if you're not an admin of both services.
Successfully integrating TechSmith Relay with Brightspace is a multi-step process:
- Create the LTI integration in TechSmith Relay. (TechSmiith Relay Site Admin)
- Enable the Content Item Messaging (CIM) org variable in Brightspace. (Brightspace Administrator - requires Brightspace version 10.6.5 or later)
- Create a new Remote Plugin via Quicklink (CIM) in Brightspace. (Brightspace Administrator)
- Adjust the security settings for the LTI Tool Provider. (Brightspace Administrator)
- Test the integration.
Read on for full instructions.
Create an LTI Integration in the TechSmith Relay Site Admin Dashboard
Log in to TechSmith Relay as an administrator and go to the Site Admin tab.
Select the Settings tab and scroll down to locate the LTI Integrations section.
Click Add new integration.
Select Other from the LMS options in the dropdown. Then enter "Brightspace" in the text field and click Create.
The Integration Details are displayed. These fields will need to be copied and pasted into Brightspace later in this tutorial.
Note: The Key and Secret are randomly generated, and are unique to not only your TechSmith Relay website, but also to this particular LTI integration. The Launch URL will be the same for every integration.
Enable the Content Item Messaging (CIM) Org Variable in Brightspace
- Using an account with admin credentials, log into your Brightspace instance.
- From the Admin Tools section, select Config Variable Browser.
- In the Config Variable Browser, locate the "d2l.Tools.Lti.ContentItemMessaging.IsEnabled" org variable. Click the variable name to open the variable settings. (For more information on this particular variable - including when it was introduced - see this Brightspace support article.)
Tip: Use the search box to search for the term "contentitemmessaging", then select the variable from the search results.
- Set the variable Org Value to On, and then click Save.
(Optional) Set the 'Auto LTI Grade Item' Variable
When an instructor adds a TechSmith Relay video to their course using the LTI integration, they can choose whether or not to associate that content with a Brightspace grade item. If they associate the video with a grade item, TechSmith Relay will report viewer data and the grade item will be scored automatically. However, if an instructor opts against associating the video with a grade item, one of two scenarios will play out, depending on how the admininstrator has set the following Brightspace variable:
- This variable ON - a grade item for each video will be automatically created in the Brightspace gradebook, and scores will be reported based on TechSmith Relay viewer data.
- This variable OFF - no grade items will be automatically created in the Brightspace gradebook.
Ultimately, it's up to you to determine which setting is best for your organization. Other things to note:
- Viewer data is always available within TechSmith Relay, no matter how this variable is set.
- Any automatically created gradebook items (above variable is ON) can be edited after they are created. For example, instructors can change the points possible, grade category, grade visibility, etc.
Create a New Remote Plugin in Brightspace
- From the Brightspace Admin Tools section, select Remote Plugins.
- Select New Remote Plugin.
- From the Plugin Type dropdown menu, select Quicklink (CIM).
Note: You must select "Quicklink (CIM)". Selecting a standard Quicklink will cause the integration to fail. If you do not see the Quicklink (CIM) option in the dropdown, please see the steps above for enabling the Content Item Messaging variable.
- For this step, you'll need the unique values generated when the LTI integration was created in TechSmith Relay (see above).
- (A) Name - Give your Quicklink a name (we strongly recommend "TechSmith Relay"). This name will be visible to your Brightspace users.
- (B) Launch Point URL - Paste the unique Launch URL from TechSmith Relay.
- (C) LTI Key - Paste the unique Consumer Key from TechSmith Relay.
- (D) LTI Secret - Paste the unique Consumer Secret from TechSmith Relay.
- Under "Make available to:", click Add Org Units.
- Locate and select the org unit in which you'd like to make the TechSmith Relay Quicklink (CIM) available. Important: Select the "All descendants" option (A) for that particular org unit. Then, click Insert (B) to confirm.
- Back on the New Remote Plugin screen, click Save.
- Your newly-created Quicklink (CIM) should now be displayed in the list of existing Remote Plugins.
Adjust the Security Settings for the LTI Tool Provider
- From the Brightspace Admin Tools menu, select External Learning Tools.
- Under the Manage Tool Providers tab (A), locate your TechSmith Relay tool, and choose Edit Tool Provider (B).
- Under the Security Settings section, ensure the following three options are checked:
a. Send tool consumer information to tool provider
b. Send LTI user ID and LTI role list to provider
c. Send user email to tool provider
- If all settings are correct, click Save and Close.
Test the Integration
Your TechSmith Relay integration should now be complete! To test the integration, log in as a Brightspace instructor who has existing TechSmith Relay media and try adding content to an existing course using the Quicklink (CIM). For step-by-step directions on adding media to Brightspace courses from the instructor perspective, see the following tutorial: Brightspace Integration: Adding Media to Your Course.
This is the complete list of our tutorials and guides for TechSmith Relay users and administrators.
Looking for TechSmith Relay (Self-Hosted) tutorials? We've got those, too.