If your organization uses a learning management system (LMS) for content delivery, you may be able to use learning tool interoperability (LTI) protocol to integrate with TechSmith Relay. In this example, we’ll walk through integrating TechSmith Relay with Canvas, a learning management system made by Instructure.
Why Integrate through LTI?
While it’s possible to share media with students using embed code or URLs, an LTI integration provides the following benefits:
- Viewers do not need to manage separate accounts to display TechSmith Relay media in an LMS. Instead, they are authorized via their LMS credentials.
- The content is delivered within a system (an existing LMS) already familiar to viewers.
- Quizzes added to media in TechSmith Relay can be automatically graded and entered into the Canvas gradebook.
Before you get started: In order to set up the LTI integration, you'll need administration rights for both your TechSmith Relay website and your LMS. This may require coordinating with someone else in your organization if you're not an admin of both services.
Setting Up an LTI integration on the TechSmith Relay Website
Log in to TechSmith Relay as an administrator and go to the Site Admin tab.
Select the Settings tab and scroll down to locate the LTI Integrations section.
Click Add new integration.
Select Canvas from the LMS options in the dropdown and click Create.
Alternatively you can select the Other option if you’d like to give the integration a custom name. If you do this, make sure to check the box indicating that you use the Canvas LMS.
The Integration Details are displayed. These fields will need to be copied and pasted into your LMS in the second part of this tutorial.
Note: The Key and Secret are randomly generated and unique to your TechSmith Relay website. You may use these values for multiple Canvas instances, such as testing and production environments.
Completing the Integration in Canvas
- Using an account with admin credentials, log in to your Canvas instance.
- Click the Admin tab in the navigation options on the left side of the site, and choose the account to which you would like to add the LTI integration.
- Select Settings from the list of Admin options.
- Select the Apps tab and then click View App Configurations.
- Click Add App.
- From the dropdown at the top of the Add App dialog, select By Url.
- Give your LTI integration a name. Copy and paste the Consumer key, Shared secret (referred to as Consumer Secret in TechSmith Relay) and Config URL into their respective fields and click Submit.
- Your TechSmith Relay integration should now be complete.
To test the integration, follow the steps in this tutorial: Canvas Integration: Adding Media to Your Course.
The complete list of tutorials and guides for TechSmith Relay users and administrators.
Looking for TechSmith Relay (Self-Hosted) tutorials? We've got those, too.