About TechSmith Capture
Quickly record anything on your screen or webcam with TechSmith Capture. Highlights include:
- Videos are ready for viewing immediately after upload.
- The ability to record specific regions of your screen, as well as full-frame webcam videos.
- Switch between the screen and webcam while recording.
- Lightweight installation on any machine.
- Launch a new recording directly from your LMS.
- To get started, click the Launch Capture button in the TechSmith Relay website or in your LMS.
- The first time you launch TechSmith Capture, the Launching TechSmith Capture webpage opens. Click the Download button to download the application.
- After the download is complete, look in your web browser or system Downloads folder for the .exe file (Windows) or .dmg file (Mac). Here's what it looks like in Google Chrome on Windows, for example:
- After you've installed the app, return to the TechSmith Relay site and click Launch Capture again. The Launching TechSmith Capture webpage will open, and the TechSmith Capture application will launch after the 5-second countdown is complete.
Set up a Webcam Recording (optional)
TechSmith Capture can record full-frame webcam video. This feature is great for personal intro videos or to show off a bit of your human side between slides. You can record a webcam-only video, or toggle back and forth between webcam and screen content during recording.
Select a Webcam
Enable the Webcam option.
Choose a webcam from your list of available devices.
Note: If you don’t see your webcam in the list of available devices, make sure your webcam is on and connected to your computer.
Record Your Screen
TechSmith Capture records all screen action on a single monitor, or a region of the screen. This is great for recording slideshows, websites, or anything else you can show on a computer screen.
Select a Screen Area to Record
- Click Record.
- Yellow crosshairs appear. Click and drag to select the desired area on the screen.
Tip: On Windows, to quickly select your entire screen to record, click the Fullscreen button near the top of your screen.
- If you have the Webcam option enabled, your webcam displays in the capture area.
- Before or during recording, click the webcam icon to toggle the webcam on or off. Keep in mind that what you see on your screen is what will be recorded in your final video.
- When ready, click the Record button.
Note: If you need to re-select the screen area before recording, click the Start Over button.
Note: If you need to cancel the screen area before recording, click the Cancel button.
Audio is a crucial part of any video. TechSmith Capture can capture system audio and audio from a single microphone.
Select a Microphone
- Choose a microphone from your list of available devices.
- If you need to toggle your microphone on or off during recording, click the microphone icon.
- To record the audio that you hear playing back on your computer, enable the Record System Audio button. Note that you can record both system audio and narration from a single microphone at the same time.
Pause and Stop Your Recording
- To take a short break while making your video, use the Pause button to temporarily stop recording.
- When you're ready to begin again, click the Record button to resume.
- When you're all done recording, click the Stop button.
- During recording, the recording controls may be displayed on a second monitor, if you have one.
- If you record full-screen on a single monitor, look for the mini-controls in the lower-right corner of your screen to pause, resume, toggle your webcam, etc.
Preview Your Recording
After you finish recording your video, it opens in the Preview Window for you to play back. We recommend at least checking to make sure you've captured audio at a sufficient volume. From here, you can Upload your video to TechSmith Relay, or Cancel your recording if it didn't turn out quite right.
Locate the TechSmith Capture App
If you have multiple windows open on your desktop and are having trouble locating TechSmith Capture, check your taskbar (Windows) or dock (Mac) for a yellow TechSmith Capture icon. Clicking this icon should bring TechSmith Capture to the front of your open apps and windows.
Update TechSmith Capture
When a new version of TechSmith Capture is available, it will download and install silently in the background. If you ever want to be sure you have the latest version, use the Download option from the launch tab, and re-install the app from your Downloads folder.