Below are the general steps for making your first recording with the TechSmith Relay Recorder:
- Launch the TechSmith Relay Recorder
- Log in
- Select an Audio Device
- Select a Webcam (optional)
- Select the Display
- Record Your Video
- Preview and/or Trim the Recording
- Submit Your Recording
Log into the TechSmith Relay Recorder
When you open the TechSmith Relay Recorder, you’ll be prompted to log in using your TechSmith Relay credentials. If you are unable to (or choose not to) log in when prompted, you can log in later by using the Log In button.
Note: You must log in before you can submit any recordings you make.
The TechSmith Relay Recorder can capture audio from your system as well as a single audio device, such as:
- Built-in microphones
- Analog microphones
- USB microphones
See also: Tested Microphones and Cameras
Select an Audio Device
- Connect your audio device to the computer before launching the TechSmith Relay Recorder.
- Launch the TechSmith Relay Recorder and click the Audio button.
(The Select Audio Device dialog opens.)
- Click the desired audio device to select it. Note: You can only record from one device, and cannot change the device in the middle of a recording session.
- Click OK to close the dialog.
To record the audio that you hear played back by your computer, enable the Record System Audio checkbox. (This box is checked by default.) Note that you can record both system audio and audio from a single microphone.
Select a Webcam (optional)
To select a camera to record with your presentation:
- Click the Camera button in the recorder toolbar.
- The camera selection window appears. Choose a camera from the list. Select "Do not record camera" to turn off camera video recording.
- During recording, the camera is not displayed on your screen. It will only be visible in the final video. Perform a test recording if you’d like to preview what your final video will look like.
- The camera footage will appear in the lower right corner of your final video. The size and placement of the webcam recording is not customizable.
See also: Tested Microphones and Cameras
Select a Display
To select a display:
- Click anywhere inside the Recording Preview.
- When you see the display selector, click the display you’d like to record. As you hover over a display in the selector, look for a red outline on your screen to help you identify the different displays.
Record Your Video
If you know what you’re recording ahead of time, such as capturing a lecture, you might choose to enter a video title and description ahead of time.
You can also enter this information after you’ve recorded and you are previewing your video.
Once you’re ready to begin your video, click Record.
While recording, TechSmith Relay Recorder captures everything on your screen, your selected webcam (optional), and the selected audio device.
Stopping the Recording
There are multiple ways to stop (or pause) a TechSmith Relay recording:
- Use a hotkey
- Stop the recording from the TechSmith Relay Recorder (this may be on a separate monitor or minimized to the taskbar or dock)
- Stop the recording from the system tray (Windows only)
After you finish recording, the video is finalized and opens in the TechSmith Relay Review Window. Here, you can preview and/or trim your recording.
Preview Your Recording
After you finish recording your presentation, it opens in the TechSmith Relay Review Window:
Trim the Recording
With the TechSmith Relay Recorder, you can lightly edit your video by removing extra footage at the beginning or end of the recording. Trim your presentation to remove any extra audio and video you do not want in your published video.
To trim a presentation:
- From the video preview, click Trimming to access the trimming tools.
- Move the playhead to the location you want to set as the beginning of the video and click the Set presentation start button.
- Move the playhead to the location you want to set as the end of the video and click the Set presentation end button.
The red area of the timeline is cut from the presentation. Once you submit or save the recording, you permanently lose this part of the video.
If you want to remove the trim points, click Cancel (the red X button). This removes the trim points and closes the trimming tools.
Submit Your Recording
After you’ve had a chance to preview and/or trim your recording, as well as finalize the video title and description, click Submit to send the video to your TechSmith Relay server.
What Happens After I Submit Media?
After you click Submit, your video is uploaded to the website.
- The recorder connects with the server and returns a direct link to your video. You can use this link immediately, but note that your video may not be ready for viewing right away.
- If you are connected to the Internet, the recording starts uploading. You’ll receive an email when your video has been processed and is ready for viewing.
- If you are not connected to the Internet, the recording will automatically start uploading when you establish a connection.
- You can check the status of your media on the TechSmith Relay website.
- If your Internet connection is lost while the recording is uploading, the process is paused and continues when the device next connects to the Internet.
In the TechSmith Relay Recorder, hotkeys can save time and they also allow you to start, pause, and stop your recording without the audience seeing the TechSmith Relay Recorder during the presentation. Set Hotkeys for starting, pausing, and stopping recordings by selecting this option in the Recorder toolbar:
Update the TechSmith Relay Recorder
When a new version of the TechSmith Relay Recorder is available, an update notification appears in the recorder window.
- Click the Update button. (This button only appears when an update for TechSmith Relay Recorder is available.)
- Click Get update.
- This will prompt you to run the update installer. Run the installer.
Check for Updates Manually
- Open TechSmith Relay Recorder
- From the Help menu, choose Check for Updates.
The Portable Recorder
The TechSmith Relay Portable Recorder will allow you to record on any computer where you're not allowed to install software. For more information, see the Portable Recorder tutorial.
Learn about TechSmith Relay components, concepts, and integrations.
PDF 4.10 MB
This manual is a compilation of all the help documentation for TechSmith Relay (Self-Hosted) 5.
TechSmith Relay Recorder Help
PDF 973 KB
Learn about TechSmith Relay Recorder and how to create and submit a video recording.
PDF 2.41 MB
PDF 142 KB
Learn how you can harness the editing power of Camtasia in TechSmith Relay.