Add TechSmith Knowmia Media to a Canvas Module Within a Course
When the Canvas Administrator completes the TechSmith Knowmia LTI integration, the option to add content from your Knowmia library course is now within Canvas.
To add Knowmia content:
- Open the Course in Canvas.
- Create a module folder.
- Assign the module reporting options.
- Add the Knowmia media to the module folder.
There are two ways to add Knowmia media to your Canvas module.
Add Knowmia Media as an External Tool with Gradebook Integration
Use this method if you would like to have Knowmia quiz grades entered into the Canvas gradebook.
- Log in to Canvas.
- Choose the course to add Knowmia media to.
- Choose Courses > Assignments.
- Click Assignment.
- On the Assignment Creation page, fill in the Assignment Name and Description fields.
To enter Knowmia quiz results into the gradebook, set a point value for the assignment.
- For Submission Type, select External Tool from the dropdown menu then click Find.
- Choose Knowmia from the menu.
Note: The Knowmia name is determined by the Canvas administrator. Contact your administrator to find out your Knowmia name.
- The Knowmia library opens.
- Click Select.
- Finish setting your assignment options and click Save.
- Your media should now be added to your course assignment. When students open the assignment they will be able to view the media and complete any quizzes.
- Once an assignment has been completed, allow up to one-hour for complete and accurate data to be synchronized between Knowmia and your course gradebook.
Add Knowmia Media Directly Using the Rich Text Editor Button (No Gradebook Integration)
The Rich Text Editor button is a great way to quickly add Knowmia media to items in your course. It is most useful when used with a course Announcement or Page. While Knowmia still collects viewing analytics and quiz results, this method does not send this data to the course gradebook.
- Create or open the Announcement, Page, or another course item to add Knowmia media to.
- Choose Text Editor > Tools > Knomia to open the Knowmia library.
Note: If your school has several LTI integrations, Knowmia may be found under the More Tools option:
- The Knowmia library opens, displaying all available media. Choose the media file to add.
- The media is embedded into the body of the Page or Announcement. While editing, the media is represented by a gray box. Click Save to finish editing.
- When students visit the Page or Announcement, they see the embedded media or a video with a play button.
Add Knowmia Media To The Newly Created Canvas Course Module
There are four ways to add Knowmia Media to the newly created Canvas Course Module:
- Record a New Video with Knowmia Recorder
- Choose an Existing Media File
- Add Media as a Conversation
- Add an Entire Folder of Content
1. Record a New Video with TechSmith Capture
Quickly record anything on your screen or webcam with TechSmith Capture. Highlights include:
- Videos are ready for viewing immediately after upload.
- The ability to record specific regions of your screen, as well as full-frame webcam videos.
- Switch between the screen and webcam while recording.
- Lightweight installation on any machine.
- Launch a new recording directly from your LMS.
To record with Knowmia Recorder, click Launch Recorder. For more information, see Record Your First Video.
2. Choose an Existing Media File
To add an existing media file, click the Add Media button.
3. Add Media as a Conversation
The Conversations feature allows content creators to collaborate, review, and discuss a video with others. The Conversations feature aligns written comments and drawn annotations with specific points in the video, making reviews quick and easy.
- Enhance student engagement with course content.
- Improve student-to-student interactions.
- Increase an instructor's social presence.
- Streamline the content review process.
Add Video as a Conversation
- To add media as a conversation, enable the Add Conversation option.
- Click Add Media. Choose desired video.
- For more information: Add a Conversation to a Video.
4. Add an Entire Folder of Content
To add an entire folder of media, including any subfolders, click the Add Folder button.
Note: No quiz scoring is reported to the Canvas gradebook if an entire media folder is selected.
Knowmia Quiz Report Details
A single piece of Knowmia content can report a quiz score in two different ways:
- If the Knowmia media content contains a quiz with questions, the quiz results can be sent back to the Canvas gradebook. Points are awarded based on the percentage of correct answers.
- If the Knowmia media content has no quiz questions, enable this option to have points assigned to it according to the percentage of the video watched.
Example: A student watches 80% of the Knowmia video. Knowmia reports a score of 8/10 to the Canvas gradebook.
- If an entire folder of media is selected, no quiz score is reported.
- Knowmia reported scores can be manually overwritten in the Canvas gradebook.
- Once a student completes a quiz, allow up to one hour for quiz scores to be synchronized between Knowmia and the Canvas gradebook.
Choose Quiz Options
- Set the number of Points possible.
- Select an Assignment Group (optional).
- Select how you want the grade to be displayed (i.e. points, percentage, letter grade, etc.).