SmartFocus® and Zoom and Pan
SmartFocus® is ideal for videos where the source clip or recording dimensions are large (ex. Full screen recordings) and you want to produce the final video at smaller dimensions (ex. For the Web or for an iPod). If you produce the final video with dimensions smaller than the source clip dimensions, the content in the video may appear small and difficult to view.
The SmartFocus® feature automatically generates Zoom-n-Pan keyframes to optimize viewing at any dimensions. In Camtasia Recorder, SmartFocus collects data about the actions completed and the cursor movement in the recording. SmartFocus predicts where to add zoom effects, saving you the time it takes to manually find and insert Zoom-n-Pan keyframes.
SmartFocus® only applies to .camrec files recorded with Camtasia Recorder version 5.0 or later. For other recordings, you can manually add a Zoom-n-Pan keyframe to clips on the Timeline.
Apply SmartFocus to Entire Timeline
Applying SmartFocus removes any existing Zoom-n-Pan keyframes from the Timeline.
Select one of the following to apply SmartFocus to all clips on the Timeline:
- Select Project Settings > Change the video dimensions and apply SmartFocus. Camtasia Studio automatically applies SmartFocus to clips added to the Timeline.
- Click the Apply SmartFocus button on the Timeline toolbar.
- In the Task List, select Zoom-n-Pan > Apply SmartFocus button .
Apply SmartFocus to an Individual Clip
Right-click on a clip on the Timeline and select Apply SmartFocus to Clip.
Manually Add a Zoom-n-Pan Keyframe
Add Zoom-n-Pan keyframes to zoom in on sections of the video to:
- Improve viewing when producing the final video at dimensions smaller than the source clip.
- Focus on important actions within the video, such as typing in a text field or selecting an option in a large application.
- Insert additional keyframes onto the Timeline after applying SmartFocus.
- Position the playhead on the Timeline.
- In the Task List, select Zoom-n-Pan.
- The Zoom-n-Pan Properties pane appears. Click the Add Keyframe button or press Z.
- Resize and/or move the green frame in the Preview area to adjust the Zoom-n-Pan keyframe.
- Click Finished.